Molecool vs. Molefay (5721 vs 4721)

M Joel W

I want to get a two light as a poor man's HMI so I would be using the FAY bulbs mostly, but also the super efficient tungsten ones that burn out really quick. Are both of these lights basically the same and take par36 bulbs? What is the difference?

Thanks,

-Matt

I want to get a two light as a poor man's HMI so I would be using the FAY bulbs mostly, but also the super efficient tungsten ones that burn out really quick. Are both of these lights basically the same and take par36 bulbs? What is the difference?

Thanks,

-Matt

I think the main difference is the socket connection on the bulb. Standard par36 bulbs have two pins like regular par64 bulbs while FAY bulbs have a different type of pin connection.

I think the main difference is the socket connection on the bulb. Standard par36 bulbs have two pins like regular par64 bulbs while FAY bulbs have a different type of pin connection.

Hey Joe,

You are right that the socket connection is different, but normal FAY (dichroic) and FCX (tunsgsten) don't have pins like a PAR 64. The have something more like "nubs" that get pressed into a connector when the bulb is installed.

The only other options is a tunsten 650 watt par 36 with terminal screws instead of nubs. I think the code is DWE. I have only seen them usd on a "Wendy Light" and a guy I know in LA that builds his own light weight FAY lights. The DWE bulb gives him the opportunity to spin the globes in different directions. A normal Mole FAY or with FAY or FCX bulbs only allows the bulb to go in one way and the spread of the beam is fixed.

I have never known whay buy a FAY light of any size is usually reffered to as a FAy light no matter what the bulb.

Hey Matt,

I worked with a camera man in the early 90's who loved using dichrioc bulbs and tungsten lamps out side as fill light. Or even tunsten lights with Full Blue 216 combo gel(I forget the code) It seemed to be old school, but worked just fine. No HMI breakdown or voltage issues. It was a TV show and enabled things to move along at a decent pace. he just worked with the sun and used the tunsgetn lamps for fill.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy