Youth without youth

Saw it at the world premiere here in Rome last week. The movie, directed, written and produced by Coppola and photographed in hd by Mihai Malaimare Jr., starring the amazing Tim Roth, is definitely worth seeing.

It's not an easy film, though: I'd say it's almost experimental, full of symbolisms, and behind a rather simple story (at least at the beginning), deals with concepts as reincarnation, duality, the emergence of coscience in the human being, universal knowledge and the birth of language. It's almost a visual philosophical paper of some sorts. I liked it a lot, though after a week I still have to understand why. It's one of those films you almost have to see it 10 times, and still give (or get) 10 different interpretations of it each time.

Before the premiere screening there was a Q&A with Coppola and he also presented a beautiful behind-the-scenes documentary of the film, made by his wife Eleanor, titled "Coda: thirty years later", a must see for first-time filmmakers, wanna-be directors and experienced professionals.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just got it on Bluray, and it's really a sight to be seen. I noticed that the cinematographer, Mihai Malaimare Jr., is a member of this forum. It would be great to hear from him about his approach to the film, as it was above all an astoundingly beautiful look throughout. I won't comment on the film as a film so much as an artistic piece, in which I think Mr. Malaimare achieved incredible things visually. I hate to bring equipment into the discussion, but I think it's also an important reminder that the camera itself is only a small part of the end product. It seems that in the "RED" age, the F900 has been dismissed as an ancient and "bad" camera... one look at the GORGEOUS bluray copy of this film is certainly proof (at least to my eyes) that there are a number of factors that add to a coherent visual style, namely great talent.

Hopefully (again) we can get Mr. Malaimare to comment, because I think it could benefit a number of us to hear how he approached this film and worked with a legendary director trying to work small and light.