really old film reels (1918)

Jack Schwitz

I have a couple of Kodak films from WWI. I can only find limited info on the internet and nothing similar on ebay, as far as the age or format of these. Is there any interest in this kind of stuff, or is it better off or being donated to the military channel for everyone to check out?

The technical stuff:

-each reel is about 100' of Kodak Cinegraph safety film

-both reels are "Official War Motion Pictures taken under action during the War in France."

-one film is " THE ST. MIHIEL DRIVE No. 6502"

-the other film is "FLASHES OF ACTION No. 6504"

-both are on "KODASCOPE" reels

-the format... around 16mm 2 perf??

-the packaging and printing is in excellent shape considering the age (i am guessing that these were released around the time of the battle?? almost pushing 100 years old!!)

-upon curious unraveling of about 5' on each roll, both films have a lot of give and do not seem to have spoiled

I think these are so cool and I am just curious to know if they are anything sought after, or just a nice center piece to my ever growing personal Kodak display. They were given to me by a family friend the last time I was back home in Rochester. I know they were in the families possession for a long while and am not sure if they are unseen originals that have not seen the light of day in a long long while, or something that was widely reproduced in its day. Anyways, these are pretty wild. Just holding them and unrolling a few feet up to the light to see through a couple of frames gives me such an intense sensation. I am probably just some kind of obsessed weirdo X-Rochestarian, but any info or interest would be appreciated.

the pics probably speak louder than my lousy explanation:

member_18287012_9933174.jpg

member_3182567_52081929.jpg

member_37539662_32601733.jpg

member_43817062_24197757.jpg

Hello:

Sounds very, very interesting. Have you contacted Eastman House? They might be helpful. And they are located in Rochester!

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/

There is also a yearly event called Home Movie Day sponsored by numerous museums across North America. People can bring in old movie footage and watch them at the museum. Your footage sounds like it might not make it through a normal 16 projector but I am certain that an archivist would be very intrigued by your find.

http://www.homemovieday.com/

Roy in Montreal

www.roycross.com