lines during fast movments dvcam transfer

Richardson Leao

Hi all,

I had some 16mm footage transfered to pal dvcam and i notice that during scenes of movement there were lines around the subjects that disappear once the scene starts.

Alpha19.jpg

look for example at the blouse.

I have used a normal cheap home camcorder (sony) to capture the images to the computer (using linux kino) and I am editing in cinelerra.

My question is, if I use a proper dvcam deck, would the quality be better? Many thanks!,

Edited by Richardson Leao

• Premium Member

Hi,

First of all your image is too small to evaluate - you need to post a full resolution frame with little or no compression.

Secondly, I have found the firewire and DV handling on Linux to be very unreliable and buggy, and you may be having trouble there - particularly as you are in PAL world and the back-bedroom guys who write for Linux are invariably Americans. Have you tried capturing on more professionally-written software?

Phil

Hi,

First of all your image is too small to evaluate - you need to post a full resolution frame with little or no compression.

Secondly, I have found the firewire and DV handling on Linux to be very unreliable and buggy, and you may be having trouble there - particularly as you are in PAL world and the back-bedroom guys who write for Linux are invariably Americans. Have you tried capturing on more professionally-written software?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am shocked! I used cinelerra before to edit NTSC and it was really good. In fact, I don't think it's cinerella's fault, but the ieee interface in linux (and maybe kino). I just captured the video with the same camera (sony dcr-hc21e) and adobe premiere in a friend's comp. and it looks fabulous (even parts I thought was fogged turned out to be good).

thank you!

• Premium Member

Hi,

Bah - you know, I was assuming it wouldn't be a software problem and that I was going to proven to be a curmudgeon. It's sometimes so disagreeable to be proven right.

Still, you should submit your results to the Kino people, so they can look into it and perhaps make a fix (although I shouldn't hold your breath).

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

looks like interlacing problems. Perhaps your ILink config is faulty, try and change it (if possible in capture software) from Top to bottom field first. Please also note that standard DV signal are opposite fields in PAL and NTSC format, it could be a reason to misjudge.

Fred.

Edited by Fred Graffigne