Recreating Flash Frames

I really like the aesthetics of flash frames, but have had a hard time trying to digitally add them in post.

i know i can easily change the color cast for the entire image quite simply with any color correction tool, but the part of flash frames that i like is how only part of the frames blows out and shows distortion.

is this just something i can only do in camera?

• Premium Member

You get flash frames in a film camera from the film coming up to running speed (and back down again at the end of the shot). So both the exposure and the speed of the shot change during those couple/few frames, ramping between normal and fast/overexposed.

I've done it before by speeding up the material 100% or so for a few frames, and ramp between the normally exposed image and the color-corrected one within that new segment. Simply cranking up the video level is a down and dirty way to simulate overexposure, but if you're starting with footage you shot with a digital camera you might want to play with the color a bit to emulate the look of overexposed film as opposed to simply blown-out video levels.

I really like the aesthetics of flash frames, but have had a hard time trying to digitally add them in post.

i know i can easily change the color cast for the entire image quite simply with any color correction tool, but the part of flash frames that i like is how only part of the frames blows out and shows distortion.

is this just something i can only do in camera?

I've found that the flashframe effect in this set of plugins is fairly convincing:

http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/

Not exactly like the real thing but pretty close and quick to render.

Also contains some other really useful filters.