Writers Studio of America

• Premium Member

Rather than get involved in a big long unproductive strike, why doesn't the Writers Union just start their own studio? If I'm an actor, I go with the writers over cigar smoking salvia dribbling slobs that have run out of folds of fat to stuff their fake penis wad of money into.

Sure, no problem. Just give them a couple of billion dollars and I'm sure they'll do it. Simple. I only have 500 million to spare, so I'm of no help.

Well with respect Brad the Hollywood studios where started by poor immigrant Jews. They where determined to succeed and they did, in-spite of the odds.

Neither Spielberg or Lucas come from rich Hollywood families, they defied the odds as well.

Yes in practicality you are right, it would be tough. But with enough determined people it could be done, there is such a thing as banks and investors that put money into these types of ventures. The WGA has lots of famous members with proven track records.

Once this new writers studio was formed, in 10 years they would face strike action from their writers demanding, well......more money.

R,

• Premium Member
Well with respect Brad the Hollywood studios where started by poor immigrant Jews. They where determined to succeed and they did, in-spite of the odds.

An excellent book to read on this subject is Neil Gabler's An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood

• Premium Member

Many Producers started as writers. Just last night the guy who produces Two and a Half men, Chuck Lorre, put a "United We Stand" message at the end of both of his CBS television sitcoms. Stan Lee would probably love to join a Studio that was started by writers. I bet there are a lot more producers that would want to sneak in the backdoor of Writers Studio of America. Big time actors would probably love to work with writers. Actors are being bullied into staying on the set and working rather than go out at join the writers strike.

If the writers can't afford to start their own studio, then it kind of proves their point that they are being slowly minimized.

• Premium Member
Sure, no problem. Just give them a couple of billion dollars and I'm sure they'll do it. Simple. I only have 500 million to spare, so I'm of no help.

I wasn't suggesting they build the studio from scratch but rather strategically find some studio that isn't close to capacity and get in there and set up shop.

• Premium Member

Neither Spielberg or Lucas come from rich Hollywood families, they defied the odds as well.

R,

Of course you're right. Anything is possible. Obviously I was just trying to make a point, but as you said, in practicality that point is correct. Also, when the studios were started the average movie didn't cost over $50 million, and those "poor immigrant Jews" weren't exactly poor when they started the studios (don't know the research...I'm making an assumption).

• Premium Member
I wasn't suggesting they build the studio from scratch but rather strategically find some studio that isn't close to capacity and get in there and set up shop.

I thought that was exactly what you were saying when you wrote, "why doesn't the Writers Union just start their own studio?" Am I mistaken? I'm not sure how working with a studio that "isn't close to capacity" (not sure what that means) is any different than working with any other studio. All the studio's are working with the same contract after all.

Seriously? I assume Sunday was church day, no?

But I never thought of it that way. No unions no weekends, that is intense.

American Buisness Manufacturing did not recognize sunday as any other day until the unions pushed for Labor reform laws. We as workers would still be pitted against one another for work, and have no minimum wage, safety, pension, or benifits without the unions today. If you look at nonunion buisnesses they are more likely to NOT offer pension and benifits than UNION buisness. Workers today would still suffer in sweat shops and Predatory management if not for the labor reforms that took place in the early 20th century.

I am not advocating the continuance of the strike b/c I feel that the Internet is still in its Infancy when it deals with Media content. As soon as a contract is signed technology will change circumventing the contract.

Look for more information on Unionization in history dealing with miners and truck drivers. People died for you to enable you to provide a better life for your family. These sacrifices are felt throughout the world in Labor/ management relations.

I dont mean to go on a tirade, It is just something I have passion about.

I work nonunion shows, I live in a right to work state. I do believe in the brotherhood and fellowship of the unions to provide for the worker.

• Premium Member
I am not advocating the continuance of the strike b/c I feel that the Internet is still in its Infancy when it deals with Media content. As soon as a contract is signed technology will change circumventing the contract.

You might be right, but I'm not so sure. The DVD/video deal the writers got in 1985 (when video sales was still in it's infancy) is the same deal they're using today (as I understand it). Many things have changed regarding video sales, but the contract hasn't. So I can understand why the writers don't want to make a bad deal on the internet content and still be held to it 20 years later when the internet content is making a huge profit.

I support the writers but hope this doesn't get dragged out any longer than it has to.