Frame Mode Canon XL1s (Pal)

Daniel_Swiss

I'm shooting my videos with the PAL version of the canon xl1s with frame mode and 1/50 shutter speed. After capturing the video with Fincal Cut Pro 4, I notice at the bottom of the player a flickering line. I checked the video output to my tv. It was perfect. There is no flickering bottom line. As well as I export the finished video back to the tape, the output result is perfect.

What's the problem? Can anybody help me?

Hi Daniel,

If you are only seeing it on the Final Cut Pro window, it's because you're viewing it full frame without TV cutoff. What you're probably actually seeing is the

time code track. It's like that with all formats on Avid as well. The frame you view is way more than what you ever see in the viewfinder or on TV. I could be misunderstanding what you described. However, if what I described is what you're seeing, there is nothing wrong with your camera.

Jim

• Premium Member

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about it; you're probably seeing a missed interlace line or something based on the way FCP is displaying your material.

I don't think it's timecode, though; DVCAM formats embed the timecode in a data part of the signal, it isn't imposed on any lines of picture (Unless you also have VITC on the tape as well, in which case it would be a series of flashing white dots at the TOP of the screen).

Phil