Video Assist for 3 Cam HD P2 shoot

Bryan Jacobson

Okay heres the scenario, 3 camera shoot, 3 HPX-500's all shooting 720p 24PN.

1. Is there a quad split monitor that I can plug 3 cameras into, take that monitor output

and record the quad output so I can see all 3 camera shots playing in sync upon bringing up

the clip recorded from the quad output for video assist? I'm trying to minimize recording

devices for playback.

I've looked around but I haven't been able to find a quad input monitor for rent or any

type of signal processing to create a quad screen based on 3 inputs.

2. Going from the cameras to the DDR or Deck has anyone had any experience with

wireless monitor out? I've never worked that way before but the director suggested it.

This will not be a live event but a narrative feature, so we are going to want to be able

to access instant playback from all 3 cameras in sync from one location.

Thanks for any help you can offer me!!

Bryan

There are NLEs that can make quad splits (aka multiplex). The hardware to do so can get expensive. Some monitors can do it but not output the slip, just display it. The CineTal monitor can do it, and we do have them in rental. It has both a router and a monitor as one, so it can take multiple inputs and multiplex them, and then output this as a multiplex as long as that is chosen as the display image on the monitor. It is important that the three cameras be genlocked, which the HPX500 can do. Any other solution will be big, cumbersome and expensive. Feel free to contact me offlist about this if you wish.

• Premium Member

I've worked with a couple of script supervisors that record quad split on their laptop. They actually do the split themselves before inputting into the laptop. Not sure what they're using, but if you'd like to speak to one PM me and I'll give you his #. It's actually a pretty fantastic way to do the job as well since he has the actual footage for reference for continuity.