Fuji 500T Pushed

Fede Dupla

Hi all!

I am shooting a short film soon and want some advice.

It is a Night chase through narrow streets with very little fill. Budget-wise we are shooting Fuji 500T and have no money to test. I plan to shoot at T2 and rate the stock 800 and push develop to 1000, but I am not shure if it would catch properly the ambient light.

I am thinking about rate it 1600 and push it to 2000. I will live with the grain, but what about the contrast, then? Any experience?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I notice that half the time, people don't specify if they are shooting in 16mm or 35mm...

Without knowing the light levels in your location, you may or may not be many stops underexposed no matter what you rate your film stock at. So I can't answer whether it would be better to push by one or two stops. You can take your meter to location and get some light measurements and then calculate what speed you need -- however, it would look better to actually light to a pretermined f-stop, like for 800 ASA. In other words, I'd avoid a two-stop push unless you have no other choices. Pushing doesn't really increase the speed of a stock, it just increases the density of areas on the film that DID get exposed to begin with.

• Premium Member

As a comparison Eyes Wide Shut was shot on the old 5298 and pushed two stops. It was quite grainy on the big screen, but hardly noticeable on the small screen. What's your end format?

Also, the Fuji 500T is probably a tad less grainy than the old 5298 too, which should help you. It was comparable (some say even a bit sharper) than 5279.