Any advice welcome

PhilPowers

Hi there I was just reading the advice to the last post and would like some help from the professionals out there. I am really very keen to become a cinematographer and would welcome advice as to what I should do this year that will help me towards my goal. I have been taking stills for around 12 years and have taken stills for many dramas and 16mm shorts in my time. I am very interested in the technical aspects both optical and chemical and did a lot of cross process stuff some years ago. I have been on a BBC camera training course and have been doing a fair amount of assisting for free with my local TV station. They do not do any drama and it is mainly PSC/ENG type stuff and I already feel im wasting my time with them as I have a lot of questions about tweaking the image with the Digibeta but none of the guys I have worked with ever bother and just say "ahh they can do that in post", which never happens by the way.

I have a very keen interest in lighting and enjoy being creative with light.

I guess I should be going down the film route, but that is easier said than done.

So if anyone can give me some very direct advice (i.e. not just general) then please help. I guess i'm looking for a plan of attack where someone will say you should call xyz or go to the NFTC and do a MA. Be warned im serious about my goal and I am going to do this, so if anyone knows of any books i should definately buy and read or any cousres I should attend then please say.

well thanks for your time - and I hope to hear from all you brainboxes soon

All the best Phil

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I have a lot of questions about tweaking the image with the Digibeta but none of

> the guys I have worked with ever bother and just say "ahh they can do that in

> post", which never happens by the way

Tell me about it. I so often shoot stuff with the absolute promise that it will be graded, and then find it's graded badly or not at all. Oh the pain and suffering.

Phil

Hey Phil, you sound determined, so you remind me of me. I'll offer my 2 cents worth. First, know for certain that you are ready to shoot someone's film project before you do since they are expensive and are usually coming directly out of someone's pocket. You are being entrusted to deliver somebody's dream, not to be taken lightly. That said, to find a project, I would begin by familiarizing myself with the dramatic community in your region and talk to as many directors as possible. You'll find that many stage directors have aspirations to direct film. You will find a kindred spirit in your search. Offer a demo of your cinematography work with short clips of your best work. I would suggest between 3 to 5 minutes in length in as common a format as possible for ease of viewabilty. Once you've saturated your region, move out to new areas. Somewhere out there is a project with your name on it. Be really honest about what you have done and what you would like to do. Once you've done one. Introduce yourself to the production community of that same area. You may be allowed to show your work. Stay in touch with all your contacts of similar aspirations. Best of luck.