Stills of Good Frames

Alex Worster

I, probably like a lot of people here, try to watch a lot movies in my spare time. Generally I try to watch them twice. The first for the entertainment (story, etc) and the second time through I try to focus on the photography. Lately I've started saving frames that I really admire for their lighting and composition so that I can go back to them in the future and study them.

That said, I think it might be interesting to start a thread for people to post stills of shots they really like. I really like looking at stills on this site and often end up learning a thing or two so if you have some stills you like from movies you've watched or projects you've shot post them and maybe even give a sentence or two about why you like it.

post-23506-1196052036.jpg

Big Combo shot by John Alton

post-23506-1196051958.jpg

Night of the Hunter shot by Stanley Cortez

Edited by Alex Worster

Hey David,

What's your website? Curious to see the stills...I'm sure the site's name has been mentioned somewhere on here before but I can't seem to find it...

I post frames all the time -- I recently printed out a list of the JPEGS of movie frames on my website and it ran 12 pages long...

Watched Heat again tonight. Dante Spinotti makes very good use of the anamorphic frame and his light is good too.

post-23506-1196062066.jpg

I like the warmth and the nice rim/beauty light really helps sells the idea that she is in her comfortable place. The light really enforces the emotions in the scene.

post-23506-1196062803.jpg

Good use of the frame. I really like good anamorphic composition especially when it helps convey what's going on in the story. These two are on the run and things are uneasy between them. The color really gives the shot a nice mood.

• 1 month later...