Tri-X Reversal Chemistry

JohnBellville

I use D19 ... its an 'aerial developer' - made for developing aerial photography where apparently they needed a hi-con developer to cut through all the mist etc... - it also keeps the base fog low so you'll get good blacks in the reversal ...

I bought some from freestyle initially but now mix my own with added Sodium Thiocyanate (try your local chem supplier) as a silver solvent ...

If you want I can supply you the formula as the chems aren't too hard to come by usually.

Its great for me as that it also is a good B+W still developer for platinum printing which requires hi-con negs and it also works well as a B+W paper developer - triple usage :D

a little dependent on it you might say ...

Go Team Home-Soup !

Great! I will definitely order some. That would also be excellent if you could supply the chems needed, seeing as I'm a newbie at mixing chemistry/finding chemistry.

goodo ! - have fun, it certainly works ... and once you get your process down the results can be excellent.

Some info here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/43233-m...ppreciated.html

• Premium Member
So, I can't find d-96 or d-97 anywhere on the net. I was recommend www.photoformulary.com, but can't find the chemistry. Does anyone know what will work as a substitute for B+W super 8mm reversal chemistry or where to order it? Thanks!

Kodak does have the formulas on their web site, and you can probaly get all the chemicals from www.photoformulary.com, or perhaps http://www.jdphotochem.com/public_html/chemicals.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have D97 as my first developer and kodak sepia toner as my second. I'm just wondering what the processing times should like like for D97. I am developing Tri-x 7266 film. It says on the kodak website 60 seconds (but for D94A)... I've been browsing forums and can't find consistent development times. I'm looking for a good starting point with the film. Help?

'sepia toner' huh ? - you might find its just re-packaged/branded Sodium Sulphide... Stinky chem, but lovely images. The cool thing about reversal is that you can watch them develop before your eyes in the 2nd soup.

As for a starting point in the first developer. No idea with that combo, a search for tri-x at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html yields no hits for D97 - D97 isnt even listed there, but it could still be helpful ... Someone may know the particular characteristics of that developer and cross reference a similar developer at the site - (anyone?) - aside from that, you need to test... shoot 3' or so of the same scene (go for a scene rich in tonality that you can replicate/compare with afterwards) - then develop 1' sections of it for I dunno, um 2mins, 4mins, 8mins - or 3min, 6min, 9 min - 4/6/8 maybe - take a educated guess here ... You'll see a transition from good to worse somewhere.

For 20 year old Plus-X / D19 at 18deg I go for 6minutes and in the summer when the water is more often 20deg I go for 5 minutes - its the same developer I use to tray develop my large format 8x10 negs for platinum printing, with a 200ASA film I use it for 23 minutes/20deg - so you can see the range of different times for different films huh !

Edited by Nick Mulder