what setting should i have it on when filming super 8

Stewart Munro

• Premium Member

Set the ISO to match the speed of the film, and then the exposure time which is (fps x 360) / (Shutter Angle) - So with with window symbol selected 1/40th and 1/60th with the sunshine symbol selected.

In addition, here's a great link with a useful shutter speed chart:

http://www.film.project-consultant.net/htm...eed_-_fade.html

Just to clarify: the 'window' setting is 220degree shutter... the 'sunshine' setting is 180degrees.

Not to be confused with the filter selector switch or 'lightbulb' or 'sunshine'.

It is a venerable shutter design.

Good luck with the 1014xl-s. It's one of the best. And welcome to super 8mm.

• Premium Member
Just to clarify: the 'window' setting is 220degree shutter... the 'sunshine' setting is 180degrees.

I am sorry if I appear insisting, but the variable shutter opening angle of the Canon 814XL-S & 1014XL-S that can be selected with the shutter angle dial on the left-hand side has 220° in the 'window' position and indeed 150° in the 'sunshine' position.

It is a venerable shutter design.

Venerable maybe, but half-hearted in its application and usability. It only allows two settings, 220° and 150°, and then automatically closes to 0° for fade-outs. Other cameras like the Beaulieu 4008-series or the Nizo big-bodied cameras allow any angle to be selected manually through a lever, and the Bauer A 512 even allows every angle to be to be chosen at will.

Nevertheless, at least these two Canosound-models have a variable shutter at all. The Nizo sound cameras or the Bauer S 715 XL microcomputer inexplicably lack it, and that for the worse (esp. as that compromises their much-advertised effect features).