Some DIY equipment carts for the smaller set

Michael Morlan

Hi all,

Over the last couple years, when serving in third-man roles on larger sets, I've discovered some elegant and cost-effective solutions to getting heavy stuff around the set. These are pretty cool carts when you are still saving your pennies for a Backstage Taco Cart:

BTW, some of these were on a 10-ton G/E truck for a $6M feature.

Set Cart #1 - The Stinger Bucket

A Rubbermaid trashcan strapped to a regular hand truck serves as a stinger bucket. The trashcan can be released to use the hand truck for other cartage. Securing a small box above the bucket can provide a spot for three-fers and adapters. Can also be used to carry cribbing. Sand bags might be a bit too much for this rig. Materials: trash can, common hand truck, buckle strap - $100

Set Cart #2 - Apple Box Coffin

1/2" plywood constructed into five sides of a box can carry four families of apples on a hand truck. Materials: sheet 1/2" plywood, screws/glue/etc., metal strapping, fender washers, 2x eye bolts, bungee, hand truck - $120 I helped finish this one, getting the straps all secure and grinding off the screws protruding into the box.

Apple_Box_Coffin_v01.pdf

post-2570-1197336725.jpg post-2570-1197336718.jpg

(forgive the cellphone pics shot handheld at night)

Set Cart #3 - C-stand Cart

Rather than buying a c-stand cart, I built my own by welding elements that bolt to yet another hand truck. I subsidized the cost of my small welding rig with the savings of building over buying. Welding with today's wire-feed rigs available at Home Depot is surprisingly easy. Mine is the 110volt Lincoln-Electric 3200HD.

post-2570-1197336753.jpg post-2570-1197336761.jpg

Michael

c_stand_cart_from_hand_truck_v01.pdf

Nice stuff. For apple boxes you can also just ratchet strap them to a hand truck. Not as elegant but works in a pinch.

What are you doing for cable/bag carts? They are by far some of the most useful carts to have.

~Jess

What are you doing for cable/bag carts? They are by far some of the most useful carts to have.

~Jess

Hi Jess,

Muscle carts are reasonable to just purchase, I think. They are an evolution of elegant design that I feel isn't met by anything else.

Michael

Hi Jess,

Muscle carts are reasonable to just purchase, I think. They are an evolution of elegant design that I feel isn't met by anything else.

Michael

A U boat is a great cart for appleboxes. It is thin for space in the Aisle, and hold a ton of boxes. If you replace the wheels with pnuematics they are great.

post-19370-1197428806.jpg