Shooting for PAL delivery with the HD100

Michael Nash

• Premium Member

I've got a project that calls for PAL delivery, Mini DV will be sufficient. I was thinking of shooting with the (NTSC) HD100 in 576/50P mode (HDV). Am I asking for trouble by handing over 50P HDV tapes instead of 50i DV? Should I just try to find a PAL DV camera?

I would never hand over a extended definition hdv tape because playback will be limited to proprietary JVC equipment. One option is to deliver in the Toshiba HD-DVD format. Using Pinnacle Studio version 11 you might be able to burn Toshiba HD-DVD compatible discs in full extended definition quality or even high definition quality using a regular DVD burner and regular DVD disc media. Although this is consumer software it probably has more advanced delivery options than so called professional software.

I never ask but rather assume that my clients want their wedding delivered in HD because of course that is the very highest quality and anything less would be a disservice because the video would not be futureproof. So I burned the raw HDV 720p30 M2T files on a data dvd which plays in full high definition quality on my clients Sony Playstation 3. My clients were so impressed that so far they have not even asked for a downconverted version of the wedding. Some of the reception was recorded in the HDV 480p60 format which can be considered near high definition quality because it is a high speed progressive scan format . However I do not know yet if the footage is compatible with Sony Play Station 3.

• Premium Member
You just answered the question. Give them what they ask for and there is no question of problems.

Absolutely, I was just having a hard time locating a PAL camera. I've since switched the shoot over to a Sony Z1U...