How'd They Do That?

Jonathan B. Lewis

Hi, my name is Jonathan B. Lewis (aspiring Cinematographer) and I had a few questions on how certain looks were achieved and which camera was used on a specific film/scene.

As for look, how was the style or look achieved in film like Moulin Rouge and the Kaiser Chiefs' music video "I Predict A Riot?"

Regarding camera use; what camera was used in the "persuit/window jump" scene of Bourne Ultimatum? As well, was the 'Genesis' Camera (or another CCD/DV Cam) used in the Film The TV Set?

*One more question:

What would be a great/best info. book for Lighting for Film and TV? There are so many available, with similar titles, but which source provides the 'best' all around info. for Lighting?

Thank You for Your Time,

Jonathan B. Lewis

• Premium Member

Let's talk about Moulin Rouge.

Controlling the way something like that looks is a multi-layered, multi-disciplinary endeavour, from production and costume design through set dressing, lighting, filtration, film stock, processing, telecine, etc. There is no one magic wand; it's a huge variety of things coming together. This is why it's hard to make lower budget stuff look that good; not because you're not using the right camera or filmstock - it's not that simple - but because you can't afford the degree of control they have over every stage.

This is the first chapter of a thick book called "it's not about the toys", which teaches you that they could have shot Moulin Rouge on a pocket camcorder and with that crew, that design budget, and that degree of care, it would still have looked pretty spectacular.

Phil