Bell & Howell filmo 70

Rolando Fernandez

Hello, this is my last resurection from ebay $68. rebuilt and ready for B camera.

problem: lock shutter.

solution: cleaning and oil

lens: mint!

Theres an extra finder? Is that a dogleg for the zoom?

What zoom is it? Cinar?

love

Freya

That is one of those fancy reflex dog leg zooms. Not the greatest optical quality but I would love to get my hands on one of them.

The non reflex finder on this camera is excellent. The interchangeable optics combined with the parallax correction adjustment allows for a very accurate image. Great for shooting in low light situations where a standard reflex viewfinder would be very dark.

~Jess

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

The filmo and eyemo are wind-up spring driven primarily. You can hand crank directly, but the crank they made for them is too small to be practical. The same input shaft works with the optional electric motor, which is far more practical than the crank.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what does it mean that the Filmo 70DL is hand-cranked? Is that like the old cameras from the silent era? Doesn't that make it hard to maintain 24 fps?

The user hand winds a spring motor, which in turn runs the camera. A governor mechanism keep the speed constant.

One can also hand crank the camera, but the govenor will still hold down the speed. If you want to hand crank and have variable speed like an old silent film, you must set the governor speed at the edge of it's range.

The filmo and eyemo are wind-up spring driven primarily. You can hand crank directly, but the crank they made for them is too small to be practical. The same input shaft works with the optional electric motor, which is far more practical than the crank.

-- J.S.

AHEM! I beg to differ- I'm in the midst of shooting a silent, hand-cranked short for a friend and while the Mitchell is a pure delight, the Eyemo hand cranks wonderfully with that tiny crank!

Scroll down on my Flickr page a bit and you can see the Eyemo in action here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkeycam/

(by the way, I think everyone should have to sign their posts like Freya, what a happy place this would be!)

Love,

Patrick :)

AHEM! I beg to differ- I'm in the midst of shooting a silent, hand-cranked short for a friend and while the Mitchell is a pure delight, the Eyemo hand cranks wonderfully with that tiny crank!

Scroll down on my Flickr page a bit and you can see the Eyemo in action here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkeycam/

(by the way, I think everyone should have to sign their posts like Freya, what a happy place this would be!)

Love,

Patrick :)

Hi Patrick:

Strange coincidence that I picked one up from CL today and was about to post a question when I found this thread...and revived no less!!

Mine is a 70E, but the lens are a bit fogged. Can you tell me what type of lenses I can purchase for this model? Does it have to be the Taylor-Hobson variety? Can you tell I'm a newb? LOL...many thanks!!

Art

• Premium Member

You can use any reasonably good C mount lenses on the Filmo. Beware of cheapo security video camera lenses, which are also C mount, and especially CS mount lenses, which have the same screw thread as C, but a shorter flange focal distance.

-- J.S.

You can use any reasonably good C mount lenses on the Filmo. Beware of cheapo security video camera lenses, which are also C mount, and especially CS mount lenses, which have the same screw thread as C, but a shorter flange focal distance.

-- J.S.

Thanks John!