Getting jobs on larger films

Daniel Smith

• Premium Member

I guess that's the balancing act. Knowing when to keep your mouth shut and knowing when to open it in order to be noticed. I've struggled with that my whole life. I'm searching for ways to be noticed without opening my mouth. In fact I think that's why I love making films. But maybe that's wrong.

I recall an interview with David Lynch where someone asked him to explain Mulholland Drive. He said if he could explain with words what he was thinking, then he wouldn't have to make a movie about it.

I think it's probably just a case of getting to know the crew on a personal level. Which requires good social skills.. (I'm screwed, I have Aspergers)

The DP will feel more reluctant to firing you after you've made a suggestion, when he or she has had a laugh with you previously, and knows that you aren't trying to tell him how to do his/her job, you are just making an honest suggestion. That way your suggestions will be taken in and will credit you.

I think confidence in what you are doing is the other thing (looking confident). Don't be intimidated by other more experienced players. You know what you are doing, if someone tells you otherwise, then tell them to worry about their own job. Because from my experience, people just take the p*ss when you look un-confident.

"Kinda makes me worried that in 40 years time I might be living in a flat, single, making my short films on shootingpeople.org."

Many aspire to achieve just that. :blink:

R,

Screw that. I know it's weird saying this (aged 19 n' all...) but I wouldn't give up having a family to work stupid hours, rig up lights etc. with 40 year old men on 16k a year.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

The best advice I ever received was:

Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot......

Shoot film, video, stills, anything, just keep shooting and be creative, push yourself.

And one day it will happen for you, and if doesn't, who cares, at least you did what you love.

It might not apply to the initial question on the thread but it applies to what ultimately many people on this site want to do.

Best luck for everyone in 2008!