Dolly track radius options

Rolfe Klement

I am looking for track recommendations to make the largest circle possible in the UK.

I am ideally looking for

• something that has a radius of 5 Meters (so a circumference of 10 meters)
  • means I can do low shots
  • Op on dolly
  • and dolly at high speed

I have seen ArriMedia offer a large curved track but it is only 6.5 meters in Diameter. Fisher offer a 30' track in the US but I have not seen it in the UK. Portajob have the flextrak option but I have not seen it in lengths greater then 40ft (I need almost 90ft)

I could just look for a dance floor that is smooth then set the wheels to whatever radius I want but what issues would I run into?

Any ideas?

thanks

Rolfe

I am looking for track recommendations to make the largest circle possible in the UK.

I am ideally looking for

• something that has a radius of 5 Meters (so a circumference of 10 meters)
  • means I can do low shots
  • Op on dolly
  • and dolly at high speed

I have seen ArriMedia offer a large curved track but it is only 6.5 meters in Diameter. Fisher offer a 30' track in the US but I have not seen it in the UK. Portajob have the flextrak option but I have not seen it in lengths greater then 40ft (I need almost 90ft)

I could just look for a dance floor that is smooth then set the wheels to whatever radius I want but what issues would I run into?

Any ideas?

thanks

Rolfe

You can do it on dance floor, if your dolly has roundy round steering. I did a shot in "The Great Debaters" using dance floor of about the same size. Just lay your floor and get your ac to stretch his tape to the distance and go in a circle making wheel marks. It should work fine, if your dolly has roundy. It'll be a nightmare trying to do it in rear steer. We did have some fabricated for an extremely tight shot on another show (6' diameter) using 1-1/4'' speedrail that worked also so you may be able to have it fabricated if you have to.

Hello Rolfe,

I manufacture a 10m70 wide curve made from aluminium precision track (and ofcourse tighter curves) and sell them worldwide. Unfortunally none of the owners are UK/EU-based. At this moment we havn't got a full circle available in our rental . However we do have half a 10m70 and half a 8m02 circle available. If you combine these two circles in a certain way (a 10m70 piece, a 8m02 piece, a 10m70 piece, a 8m02 piece..etc ..etc..) you get a circle of 9m36 outside diameter with a floating "center-point"... Just visit my website for contactdetails. In march/april our range of curves for rental will be complete again...

If you are on a stage there is the option for rigging a 5 meter jibarm from the ceiling, upside down...?

I am not this satisfied with dancefloors myself, there seems to be always something wrong with them.

Good Luck,

Onno Perdijk

KeyGrip Amsterdam

www.solidgripsystems.eu

If you are on a stage there is the option for rigging a 5 meter jibarm from the ceiling, upside down...?

I am not this satisfied with dancefloors myself, there seems to be always something wrong with them.

Good Luck,

Onno Perdijk

KeyGrip Amsterdam

www.solidgripsystems.eu

I agree about the dance floor. It will be much smoother on rails, but it can be done as a last resort. The suspended jib is an interesting idea. I hope you can help him.

I was thinking about a roof mounted jib arm - I even did some 3d previs to extend the system out to include some additional functions...

I did some work in previs and I have various options - I take the largest track that Arri UK offer and go on a wider lens or place the action off centre - so when we have close ups and wides on the same shot - then place the movement around that.

thanks for the feedback though

Rolfe