test footage of HPX-3000 available for download from our FTP site

Joe Incardona

I've been following posts for the past few months about the Panasonic AJ-HPX3000 P2 HD camera. We had the good fortune this past week of having our Panasonic regional reps bring the camera to us for evaluation purposes. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to test the camera under different shooting conditions, but we did get to shoot in our studio and edit some test footage. I'd like to share this footage with everybody, so it's available for download on our FTP site:

ftp://209.12.198.170/

To log in to our FTP site, the user name is hpx3000, password is hpx3000.

I also was able to test the new Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX camera the day after the Panasonic reps were here in Memphis. We shot similar footage to what we captured from the HPX3000, for comparison purposes.

With both cameras, which are native 1920x1080 HD, we shot some footage at 1080 24p, and some at 1080 60i. The Panasonic camera only shoots at 1080, while the Sony will also shoot at 720, in addition to 1080. We didn't have time to shoot anything at 720, though, on the EX-1.

If you log in to our FTP site using the instructions above, you'll see a single folder called hpx3000. Inside it, there are two subfolders: hpx3000clips, and ex1clips.

We used FCP 6.0.2 to edit all the test footage, and Compressor's H.264 settings to make the MOV files. We kept them at the cameras' full 1920x1080 resolution, so they are somewhat large, ranging from 3.4 MB (for one of the brief close-up shots) to 304 MB (for one of several narratives I did on-camera).

I had a lav mic on my narratives for the HPX3000, but we used the on-board camera mic on the EX-1, due to time constraints.

If you download some of the clips for evaluation, please post your feedback, as I would greatly appreciate opinions on these two cameras. You're also welcome to send me an e-mail with your thoughts, to joeinc@memphismediasource.com.

Thanks for all the great information that has been shared here, and happy holidays!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...