Film School In Europe

Hello one and all.

I am new here and this is my first post. Well, it's a x-post, so technically my second post.

I might be in the wrong place, but I do NEED TO KNOW...

What are some good film schools outside of the United States?

Long story short: I was born and raised in Eastern Europe, but have lived in the States for quite a while. I recently had a relative offer me the chance to go to school anywhere in Europe on (mostly) their dime. Being a huge film buff I finally have the chance to really dive in head-first and study film theory and more importantly cinematography and editing.

I would be a tool to pass up this opportunity.

So, does anyone know of a good film school in Europe that's reputable and possibly offers their courses in English?

Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

omina risus et omina pulvis et omina nihil

If you knew that you definitely wanted to be a cinematographer, and you had 5 to 6 years to spare, I would go to the film school in Lodz, Poland or VGIK in Russia. You would need one year to learn the language and 4 to 5 years to to study cinematography. From what I hear from people who have studied there you would get a complete art education: cinematography, directing, editing, film history, art appreciation, philosophy and literature amongst other disciplines. And they produce some amazingly good cinematographers! I met some when I attended the Budapest Cinematography Masterclass last year - they produce some really talented cameramen...

Happy New Year!

I would go to UK, well I mean, that's what I am doing at the moment. Because frankly, the film industries of other European countries are in bad, bad shape. So is UK's, but at least there are things produced and done here on moderate budget levels.

National Film and Television School and London Film School are the ones to look at.

If you knew that you definitely wanted to be a cinematographer, and you had 5 to 6 years to spare, I would go to the film school in Lodz, Poland or VGIK in Russia. You would need one year to learn the language and 4 to 5 years to to study cinematography. From what I hear from people who have studied there you would get a complete art education: cinematography, directing, editing, film history, art appreciation, philosophy and literature amongst other disciplines. And they produce some amazingly good cinematographers! I met some when I attended the Budapest Cinematography Masterclass last year - they produce some really talented cameramen...

Happy New Year!

Thank you for the information, I will have to look up both VGIK and the film school in Lodz.

Do you know if FAMU in Prague or EICAR in Paris have a good reputation?

I would go to UK, well I mean, that's what I am doing at the moment. Because frankly, the film industries of other European countries are in bad, bad shape. So is UK's, but at least there are things produced and done here on moderate budget levels.

National Film and Television School and London Film School are the ones to look at.

I will certainly look into schools in the UK.

Thank you very much for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
I will certainly look into schools in the UK.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Hi ,

Privates school in Paris like Eicar aren't very good but they are expansive (6500 euros per year) ,i've hear " 3 i s" is the best private school.You can try Louis lumiere(good for cinematography) or the femis (more for directors) but you need to pass a very difficult test and exams in order to get inside ... really difficult !

I would go to the uk , lodz or to belgium if i where you.

bye bye

• Premium Member
Because frankly, the film industries of other European countries are in bad, bad shape. So is UK's, but at least there are things produced and done here on moderate budget levels.

Maybe Phil could chime in here? ;)

But seriously, the UK are hardly in great shape when it comes to making movies. Once you look beyond the few Hollywood blockbusters that get shot in the UK studios you'll find an industry that produces far fewer films compared to the size of its population than say France for instance. On top of that there isn't really a 'middle-class' anymore, either things have a very comfortably budget or they don't have a budget at all.

Hello one and all.

I am new here and this is my first post. Well, it's a x-post, so technically my second post.

I might be in the wrong place, but I do NEED TO KNOW...

What are some good film schools outside of the United States?

Long story short: I was born and raised in Eastern Europe, but have lived in the States for quite a while. I recently had a relative offer me the chance to go to school anywhere in Europe on (mostly) their dime. Being a huge film buff I finally have the chance to really dive in head-first and study film theory and more importantly cinematography and editing.

I would be a tool to pass up this opportunity.

So, does anyone know of a good film school in Europe that's reputable and possibly offers their courses in English?

Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

omina risus et omina pulvis et omina nihil

Like any school, the reputation you'll hear about will depend on everyone's personal experience. Certainly hear everyone out, but I'd call (and visit if possible) all of the schools that you're interested in. There's an extensive list on my website (www.whatireallywanttodo.com). And depending on who you talk to at the schools, they may be willing to recommend alumni for you to contact.

Good luck!