Cold Case tv series

Hello!

If anyone watches Cold case series i have some questions?

what medium is it shot with? some scenes look like 16mm

also if it is with film do they use skip bleach process? or this look is something else?

thank you

As far as I know, they don't shoot any 16, but there's a lot I don't know. Normally they shoot multi-camera, 35mm, on a small squad of panavision millenniums if memory serves; they do a lot of stylistic things (for what I would assume are "flashback" scenes - I've never seen the show), I saw 'em shooting 6 fps, skip bleach, and nets on one camera while they rolled another one clean. Not sure what stocks they shoot, that's about all I know.

• Premium Member

The was an article somewhere (A.C., maybe?) when the show was in its first season. At that time they used all kinds of different formats and techniques to evoke the different eras; 35, 16, reversal, Hi-8, you name it. I have no idea what they're up to now.

Thank you for the answers

Well im not sure which season is being shown here in greece. ill have to check it

but the opening titles are the same i think between seasons

anyway what i see and i dont know how to explain it is that the highlights are burnout the contrast a bit high but still the color saturation looks normal. so i thought it was skip bleach used but still i was expecting desaturated image.

anyway it must be complex to understand because i think they use lots of post to their footage.

i searched the forum and found some info about skip bleach and also i have seen for example Amores Perros which has scenes that have skipped bleach.any other movie i could see??

im trying to see if skip bleach is the right way to go for a micro budget short im self processing.

thank you

• Premium Member

Cross-processed reversal film will yield high contrast and saturated/shifted colors. They use this technique sometimes in CSI Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach_bypass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

You'll get different results depending on whether you do a skip bleach on the negative or on the print. Silver-retention techniques leave excess silver on the film, which makes the highlights on the negative go brighter (burn out), or shadows on a print go darker (of course this changes your density, so you'll want to do some research on proper exposure for the technique you chose).

We've discussed silver-retention techniques many times here, so you can find more info if you search for "bleach bypass," "skip bleach," "ENR," "ACE," and "silver-retention."

The was an article somewhere (A.C., maybe?) when the show was in its first season. At that time they used all kinds of different formats and techniques to evoke the different eras; 35, 16, reversal, Hi-8, you name it. I have no idea what they're up to now.

A friend of mine asked me this very question a few weeks ago. I've never watched this show so I couldn't give him an answer but I pointed him to this article here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...4/caseP.shtml#p

... which is probably the one you're talking about.

I was on the show for about 4 years, shooting 32 of the episodes. The flashbacks in every episode are approached in a very different way, and the expectation is to create a distinct look for each episode. It tends to be a pretty experimental environment overall. I would venture to say that every media except Pixelvision has been utilized. VHS, super8, 16mm, skip-bleach, crossprocess, pushing, pulling, odd lenses. You name it.

The present day look when I was there was pretty straight 35mm timed cooler rather than warmer. Lots of long lenses and moving camera. i haven't watched it in a while so things may have changed.

Paul Sommers

• Premium Member
I was on the show for about 4 years, shooting 32 of the episodes. ...

Paul Sommers

Thanks for chiming in, Paul!

Phil, according to a recent article in A.C. , CSI Miami does use techniques like cross processing as well as post. I can hear Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell now... ("Ain't nothin like the real thing, baby")