The future has mercury in it.

• Premium Member

As for LEDs, they do have a future, just not in their current state. A few physical hurdles must be jumped to quadruple element efficiency. We just aren't there yet. One day, but not now. About 6 years ago I was involved in a company tat was doing work with LEDs and fiber optics. We held a few patents on some pretty cool LED circuits. I got to realize the future would eventually be LEDs. I even designed an LED on camera light. I think it was what the company that came out with that current LED cine light I see advertised got the idea form once I was publicly showing the designs and ideas. I stopped because LEDs simply aren't there. Yes that company now makes an LED light but like my design, it's not much more than a flashlight to me and tungsten versions are so much more efficient.

As for this whole green thing, it's just another catchy word of the times started by a few mislead scientists who think the world is heating and we have something to do with it. Twenty years ago they told us teh world was freezing. And all this talk creates this need to be green. Thus we have the EU declaring that a fifth of all their energy must be green by 2020, even though they could never get near the target in a 100 years. It's almost like a scene out of Dr. Seuss. We need green homes, green cars, green fuel, even circuitry in our trash containers that will enforce green waste disposal. Twenty years from now they will look back and laugh at how all our greenness created problems they never even thought about and how all the work really did little.

As for my changing over of lights in my home. I saw dramatic decreases in power consumption. But no, not in delivery. They used to charge for power, now they charge twice, once for consumption and second to "deliver the electricity to your home.

But of course with the thought of trying to conserve, it wasn't just the CFLs but my attitude, seeing waste and stopping it, using timers, and unplugging appliances that were turned off that made the biggest difernce. I did'nt do it to go green, just to cut down on a rediculous electrical bill.

• Premium Member
Twenty years from now they will look back and laugh at how all our greenness created problems they never even thought about and how all the work really did little.

Yup, just as we today can look back 70 years at huge numbers of people fervently believing in a couple different pseudo-scientific loads of crap. It's depressingly easy to pull off the big lie.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Yup, just as we today can look back 70 years at huge numbers of people fervently believing in a couple different pseudo-scientific loads of crap. It's depressingly easy to pull off the big lie.

Reminds me of that scene from Woody Allen's Sleeper where he asks for healthy food like wheat germ and tiger's milk, and the Dr. says, "What, no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or hot fudge?"