Sony F900

Mehul

Hi. I posted previous about debating on the Sony f-23 vs. super 16, but now the affordable option is the Sony HDW-F900. I wanted to get thoughts on whether this is a good option of transferring to 35mm film. Also, it is a bollywood style type film, so I want the colors to really pop. Any suggestions on settings, etc.. that will be the best to get optimum color and resolution for an ultimate 35 mm workprint?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hi. I posted previous about debating on the Sony f-23 vs. super 16, but now the affordable option is the Sony HDW-F900. I wanted to get thoughts on whether this is a good option of transferring to 35mm film. Also, it is a bollywood style type film, so I want the colors to really pop. Any suggestions on settings, etc.. that will be the best to get optimum color and resolution for an ultimate 35 mm workprint?

Thanks!

Color-correct in post for more color saturation and contrast, print the film-out on Vision Premier.

I would shoot with the camera settings in a more neutral setting for color. At the most, you could use the ITU709 Color preset, which is moderately saturated. Keep the blacks at "0". Don't use Black Gamma to increase shadow detail, do it with lighting instead. Don't use diffusion, except maybe on close-ups.

There have been many movies shot on the F900 and transferred to 35mm, such as "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones", "Once Upon a Time in Mexico", "Spy Kids 2"...

so what do you think the trick is to make it look the best for 35 mm, aside from lighting. such as camera settings? i know you gave me a few suggestions...but anything else would be helpful!