Transfering S16mm - to digital.

Guest nuc

This is just a theory of mine; I haven?t actually imperilment it or anything.

Ok, this may be completely impractical and not to mention impossible. It basically to solve the problem of expense when transferring film - to digital.

Here we go.

After getting the film developed, is it possible to use a film scanner [which is used to capture 35mm stills] to transfer your s16mm or 35mm frame by frame to your computer and allow you to edit that.

Now this might seem completely impractical when working on a large scale features but for me this would be for a short 7min and 35min film. Just wondering if it could be done. I neither have a film scanner to test it with, nor have I any experience with using film. I am in the middle of shooting my first feature on S16 with a K-3 and the expense of processing the film (not to mention blowing it up to 35mm) is proving beyond my budget.

Could this idea solve my problem? And could it also allow me to digitally enlarge each image thus removing the need to blow the S16mm to 35mm.

If the film could be transferred this way what software could I use?

I haven?t any experience in either medium but the idea sounds plausible [to me].

Any ideas

The method you describe is done quite often now. It is more often refered to as DI or digital intermediate. You shoot your film and have the negs scanned rather than the traditional telecine. The catch here is that it is a much more expensive endevor than telecine. If this is your first outing and are considering a 35mm blow up, then compose your shots for 1.85:1 and do a traditional telecine and have the negative conformed to your final video cut. I have researched this route myself and have found out that you need to have a rather large budget to get a DI. An optical blow up is still cheaper than going the DI route, although that will all change in time. As far as doing it yourself at home........... it would be much to costly and involved to be a viable solution. Right now the DI is for the $$ crowd. Traditional telecine is just fine for what you need.

Hope this helps...

:)

Thanks for the insight. - Being my first feature i continuously looking for numberous ways to save some money. Blowing S16 to 35mm sounds the rite way to go, however would you know how much that would cost $US??

If you're planning on going from a S16 neg to a 35mm positive (final print or IP or whatever), I believe only a few labs can do this for you. I remember a post from Mr. Mullen a while back stating that he had to go through several IP/IN steps in order to get multiple 35mm prints done.

I also think it's something like $15k for the direct S16 --> 35mm transfer (if you can find it), but of course that varies depending on how long your film is.

• Premium Member

Do a test going to 1080p/24 from some of your footage on a Spirit. The 16mm optics for the Spirit are substantially better than any previous HD telecine's. Do a film out of your test and see if you like the price/performance point.

-- J.S.