Taping Russian Mags?

James Steven Beverly

I, as most of you know 'cause I brag about it ALL the time :wub:, have both a Kinor 35C and a Konvas KSR-1, I was just wondering, although I've seen SOME Konvas' with the mags taped on production stills, it seem to be the exception rather than the rule and as for the Kinor 35C and H s, I've NEVER seen the mags taped in a production still (of which I must admit, there are very few I've seen), Is there a reason the Russian mags seem to rarely be taped and is there a reason the Kinors seem to be never taped or do they need to be taped like the Western mags? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

I, as most of you know 'cause I brag about it ALL the time :wub:, have both a Kinor 35C and a Konvas KSR-1, I was just wondering, although I've seen SOME Konvas' with the mags taped on production stills, it seem to be the exception rather than the rule and as for the Kinor 35C and H s, I've NEVER seen the mags taped in a production still (of which I must admit, there are very few I've seen), Is there a reason the Russian mags seem to rarely be taped and is there a reason the Kinors seem to be never taped or do they need to be taped like the Western mags? B)

Maybe it's because Russian film stock was so slow that they didn't have to worry about light-fog from mag leakage? Just kidding, but seriously it is a bad idea not to tape mags. Personally, I like to tape with black tape under the color-identifying tape for the particular stock used. You want to keep stray light out of old mags, as when they age the light-trap lining does too.

I, as most of you know 'cause I brag about it ALL the time :wub:, have both a Kinor 35C and a Konvas KSR-1, I was just wondering, although I've seen SOME Konvas' with the mags taped on production stills, it seem to be the exception rather than the rule and as for the Kinor 35C and H s,

The russian film makers take from west colleagues to taped of film magazines now.

The any additional protection of film stock not bad.

From my experience of service, repair and use of film magazines of Konvas cameras, i can tell, a some 400 ft film magazines of Konvas cameras can have mix lids fron other film magazine or can have problem with clasping a lid on top side.

I recommend to taped of 400 ft magazine for additional protection of stock.

Kinor's magazines have better clamping of parts of magazine have a top and lower locks.

Back in '03, we sure as heck taped the mags on this puppy!

Yes, The 400ft film magazine of Kinor-16 SX-2M need taping too for additional protection.

Kinor's mag have two locks, and clamping of lid good, but, if the backing plate mis-shapen or setup incorrectly, the lid of film

magazine can close not closely.

What the hell is that?

That was my old Slow Motion Inc modified Kinor CX Super 16mm camera. It had a PL mount, digital footage counter, 2 lemo connections, 2 run/stop switches, 4 pin XLR power input, 1.78:1 ground-glass, crystal sync motor, 8-50fps, etc. I taped all the mags on that camera because like Olex said, they have a tendency to not always seal properly.

• Premium Member

On the vast majority of well maintained mags, taping isn't necessary. But it's such a cheap little bit of extra insurance that everybody does it. Nobody wants to be the guy who decided not to tape the one time the lid fell off. But there are some makes and models -- not necessarily Russian -- on which it is essential.

-- J.S.

That was my old Slow Motion Inc modified Kinor CX Super 16mm camera. It had a PL mount, digital footage counter, 2 lemo connections, 2 run/stop switches, 4 pin XLR power input, 1.78:1 ground-glass, crystal sync motor, 8-50fps, etc. I taped all the mags on that camera because like Olex said, they have a tendency to not always seal properly.

VERY Cool!!! I've got the Aranda Rotovision 5000 Kinor 35C.

Kinor35C1.jpg

Kinor35C.jpg

Gotta LOVE Commiecams. :wub:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

VERY Cool!!! I've got the Aranda Rotovision 5000 Kinor 35C.

The some information outside of this theme.

I can show of our modification of motor of Kinor-16 SX camera too.

This is multi speed, crystal sync speed motor with digital film counter, digital voltmeter of battery.

We can propose of versions of motor upgrade with Arri Vario speed input or similar,

with speed synthesizer 5..50 fps, step 0.01

and multi-speed synthesizers with programming of change of speed, with 36 speeds

5..50 fps, steps 0.001 fps

Yeah buddy!! Lose those old Soviet electronics and the Commiecams become fantastic cameras. I've considered selling mine to buy an Arri BL1 or 2 because there would be a better chance of getting onto a film as a cameraman, but I just can't justify it, not when this Russian equipment is so wonderfully made and so cost effective. The only thing I have problems with is finding parts and accessories on occasion (I STILL need an anamorphic gate or a standard gate I can have machined to anamorphic) but aside from that, they're unbeatable! :)