super8mm film through xray

andrewwatson

hey, so i was traveling the other week and forgot i had a few rolls of ektachrome 64t that i left in my suitecase. I know that normal xray machines (like the ones at the security check points) do not effect film under 400asa, but what about the xray machines the suitecases go through, any different?

• Premium Member

"Don't Panic!", said the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I does also depend from what airports or airfields you were flying!

If the airport has new InVision CTX or other high dose X-ray systems installed for checked-in luggage, then you might encounter fogged film. I once wrote a piece when they came out that caused major panic (the product, not my text...) as the BVK (the German equivalent to the BSC or ASC) lobbyied against the adaption of the InVision "film killers"

However: I recently transported 3000 ISO film (!) in checked-in luggage from Gatwick to Granada, and did not encounter any problem. I also transported 200 ISO from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi a year ago, checked-in, without any consequential problems.

But of course: whenever you can put film into hand luggage, do it! Also: inform airport security in advance so that the staff at the security posts know of you via their supervisors. Have something in writing re. previous exchanges. And get through security early on so that possible delays are not caused by your film checking, as staff will then get nervous and try to get you through asap, which means: throw the film into the scanner, no matter what. It's their job, it's badly paid, yet high-responsiblity and therefore I kinda can understand their issues.

What happens to film shipped, say, from Germany to somewhere else in the world? Surely air freight is x-rayed to the max?

I ask, because the only way I'm going to get film to me (and back to the lab) is by post or courier.

Thanks

Paul

• Premium Member

Hello friend,

although one might assume that airfreight gets xrayed as mad, this is actually not entirely correct. It is right that when it comes to US customs entry, checking procedure is extensive now, and I am currently unsure about what measures are taken at what port of entry (both port and airport) for freight. If you are based in the US, well, then even my Intelligence contacts can't help you out about details. I will try, though... what film stocks are you transporting from Wittner (I assume) to you? If in the US, couldn't you also try Spectra? If you are about to use E-64, wouldn't you want to use E-100 from Wittner instead, or go straight to Vision2 (an upgrade worth it if you are not after a reversal film look)

Don't forget: the sheer amount of airfreight transported globally (the overwhelming majority of air miles is actually accumulated by all your packages from UPS, FedEx, Nippon Post and DeutschePostWorldNet) makes thorough xraying difficult if not economically unviable. I have never experienced ever any fogging due to air-transportation of freight goods, and also never heard of that. The BVK initiative I mentioned above was all about passenger travel and not about freight goods (which didn't struck me then because I was young and against alot of stuff and happy to write I manifesto when possible, but actually, now, I wonder why the BVK would venture against passenger goods screening... as if Michael Ballhaus would get his EXR 35mm reels to Martin Scorsese in his hand luggage... :unsure: ).

Please also bear in mind that Kodak recommends using courier services for transporting its film stocks for you on location: you order it with them, and they ship it to you directly wherever you are on this planet. Now don't think that some Kodak employee is doing this as a dedicated job (like the suited Amex guy from the TV commercials in the 1990s who gets you a

replacement Amex even into the jungle where you currently fight off snakes, Indy-like). It is just your average Joe UPS guy who is doing that for you in his average UPS freighter and his signature UPS van... (actually, indeed like in the commercials where this UPS van drives up in that Kerala ashram driveway to deliver the new yoga matt to that lovely girl... - ... isn't anyone watching German TV commercials here?!?! :lol:)

Sorry, but I cannot give more detailed answers as this is not 100% certain info ? air transportation regulations and practices nowadays change (really) daily, esp. here in the UK (and Heathrow will be the biggest air hub by 2015, ahead of Hong Kong, Dubai, Tokyo-Narita and LA ? so much for shifting patterns of globalisation). Try and discuss the issue with your sales point, and also do call your Kodak rep and ask her/him for info about that.

Cheers, -ML

P.S.: you've got mail...

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit late on this topic, but it is something that has concerned me recently. Last week I was told by "That's a Wrap" (London) that they don't use the royal mail to send film stock because they xray the packages, I recently used the royal mail to send film for processing and had no problems, but my big concern is with sending film abroad; I have some kodachrome which will obviously have to go to 'Dwaynes'. Am I better off sending it with a courier than a national postal service? Will that help at all?

Is my concern justified? If I write "contains photo-sensitive material" on the package will it help?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

If you travel & want to protect your film from Xray, you can use a X Ray film pouch.

It's really useful!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/344/Fil...gs_Pouches.html

I know there's the same thing for S-8 cartridges. or you can use big ones to put your loaded camera inside it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pho/660676387.html

Hope it helps.

• Premium Member

I DISCOURAGE THE USE OF SUCH LEAD CONTAINER DEVICES HEAVILY:

PLEASE READ MY POST HERE ON THAT SUBJECT MATTER, THAT ALSO COVERS X-RAYING IN GENERAL:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=230440

I will also post a short FAQ topic on this in the pinned reader's digest here.

CHeers, -Michael

• Premium Member
I'm a bit late on this topic, but it is something that has concerned me recently. Last week I was told by "That's a Wrap" (London) that they don't use the royal mail to send film stock because they xray the packages, I recently used the royal mail to send film for processing and had no problems, but my big concern is with sending film abroad; I have some kodachrome which will obviously have to go to 'Dwaynes'. Am I better off sending it with a courier than a national postal service? Will that help at all?

Is my concern justified? If I write "contains photo-sensitive material" on the package will it help?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Ben,

I would not worry to much about this as it involves K-40, that doesn't suffer from fogging issues with current scanning gear.

Labs do also use Royal Mail with more sensitive film stocks, without problems.

I would actually be more worried about Royal Mail loosing the package in transit due to their patchy reliability, while a courier has tighter control. Yet that comes at a steep price, and its up to your budget and requirements to decide on that issue.

• Premium Member

An FAQ-style post as been added to the Reader's Digest pinned thread at the top of this sub-forum named:

AIR TRAVEL, FILM MATERIAL AND THE BIG LUGGAGE/BAGGAGE X-RAY SCARE

- what to know - what to do - how to relax -

CLICK HERE to visit.

Cheers, Michael

Ben,

I would not worry to much about this as it involves K-40, that doesn't suffer from fogging issues with current scanning gear.

Labs do also use Royal Mail with more sensitive film stocks, without problems.

I would actually be more worried about Royal Mail loosing the package in transit due to their patchy reliability, while a courier has tighter control. Yet that comes at a steep price, and its up to your budget and requirements to decide on that issue.

Michael,

Thanks for your response, I feel a lot more at ease at now, also I'll head over to your FAQ section to get all my facts sorted.

Cheers,

Ben