recording gps

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member
Anyone have experience recording GPS on a audio track and or recrding timecode and GPS on laptop or PDA?

Yes. About 10 years ago, I built an adapter to take the output of a Garmin 75 into the RS-232 port of a laptop. This was an old 8088 DOS machine. I wrote an assembly program to grab lat/long/alt/time and store them in a file. IIRC, the data comes at you as fixed length fields in plain ASCII, and it gives you a new fix every two seconds. I could clip the receive antenna to the exterior of the car, and have it record positions to file. It should be fairly easy to put this stuff into the vertical interval of video, you could do it in VITC's user bits. It would be harder to put it on an audio track, especially an analog audio track. You'd have to use a shaped waveform like SMPTE 12-M time code does. Check out Horita, they probably have some little boxes that do some of this stuff.

-- J.S.

Yes.  About 10 years ago, I built an adapter to take the output of a Garmin 75 into the RS-232 port of a laptop.  This was an old 8088 DOS machine.  I wrote an assembly program to grab lat/long/alt/time and store them in a file.  IIRC, the data comes at you as fixed length fields in plain ASCII, and it gives you a new fix every two seconds.  I could clip the receive antenna to the exterior of the car, and have it record positions to file.  It should be fairly easy to put this stuff into the vertical interval of video, you could do it in VITC's user bits.  It would be harder to put it on an audio track, especially an analog audio track.  You'd have to use a shaped waveform like SMPTE 12-M time code does.  Check out Horita, they probably have some little boxes that do some of this stuff.

-- J.S.

Sony showed a gps accessory sitting on top of a HDcamcorder last year. Idea is that Natural History/stockshots have a record of where the camera was.

Not much has come of it. Meta data is a much used catchword, but in reality their is no off the shelf solution for extraction from video/audio/timecode.

My application is to record GPS data for an aerial shoot.

There are computer programms that record the gps, we 'de like to play with recording gps on tape as well as recording timecode on a file with GPS that can be searched on a database (no pictures just numbers). It is being done, like John has done with a custom programme.

cheers

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Another thing I proposed in a SMPTE paper back then is using GPS plus head positioning data sent back in the vertical interval of feeds from TV news helicopters. At the station, this would be used to look up graphics in a map database and superimpose the street names on the picture. I got the idea while watching fire coverage. One burning hillside looks pretty much like another, you really can't tell if it's Malibu or Orange County. The tricky part on that one is getting compass heading for the helicopter. My solution was to also encode the position of the backhaul microwave antenna, and figure it from the GPS position and the fixed position of the receive antenna.

-- J.S.