s16 at night

Mike Simpson

So I am looking at a couple different stocks for a film I am shooting in May and I was wondering if anyone had any sample footage or experience in general with 7219 night exteriors. Ive used 18 a fair amount but I have yet to use the 19. How do they compare? Here is the kinda whats going on:

The location is similar to the mexico-us bridges. Big lights that make big pools of light. Not really very even. Lots of people and lots of cars.

I havent been out there with a light meter yet because the location is tough to get to. I'm not entirely sure I will be able to do any tests with a camera at the location because of all the red tape, and I definitely wont be able to bring lights or anything that would attract attention to the camera when I actually shoot (although I might try to sneak out a a couple bricklights or a bounce).

Has anyone run the 19 through this kind of location? Is Kodak's lattitude claim pretty accurate? Has anyone really tried underexposing this and how far did you go and still get usable detail? I would love to look at some sample footage if anyone has any.

I know I have alot of tests to do but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts as well. Thanks.

Hi,

i've been shooting some comparison tests with the 18 and 19, pushed it 1 and 2 stops. There isn't much difference between them. It is sharper than 18 but the grain seems to be a little bigger, which is a suprise. But generally it's pretty much the same thing.

And if you're thinking about pushing, 18 seems to have a bigger dynamic range after Push 2. I like the older stock better, or there's simply not much to like about a new one. Vision 2 after a tiny face lifting.

I can't show you the tests cause they were contact printed. But maybe some day the lab is goingbe generous enaugh to scan it for me.

Good luck with your film