Filter fogging problem

I have some Tiffen SFX filters that have developed what looks like fogging marks on the inner glass of the sandwich. They may have been kept in an unsuitable enviroment for some time.

I've tried heating them with a hairdryer but can't seem to get rid of fogging. I will keep them in warm dry place for a while to see if it disappears. Anyone had the same problem - any solutions or are they ng?

Nick

• Premium Member

Probably just need new ones. There's no guarantee that, even if you can clear them up now, that you won't take them out and find them foggy again when you go to put them in a mattebox tray.

You could try putting them in a warm oven for a while. By warm I mean a hundred degrees or so. If it is just condensation, that should clear it out. I doubt that would be a permanent fix.

I'll try putting them in the oven.

I picked them up dirt cheap at a fire sale- set of 6.6x6.6 tiffen sfx - new, pouches and still in crepe paper but probably been sitting on a shelf for years. I checked them for scratches but did not see the fogging till I properly inspected them later. As Kevin says they are are a light fog sfx kind of filter now ! - problem is the fog is not consistant. If the oven trick doesn't work I'll bin them.

I'll try putting them in the oven.

I picked them up dirt cheap at a fire sale- set of 6.6x6.6 tiffen sfx - new, pouches and still in crepe paper but probably been sitting on a shelf for years. I checked them for scratches but did not see the fogging till I properly inspected them later. As Kevin says they are are a light fog sfx kind of filter now ! - problem is the fog is not consistant. If the oven trick doesn't work I'll bin them.

Maybe they could still be used for dream sequences even with the inconsistent fog, but if it's fungus then that isn't so nice.

love

Freya