Shafts of Light

Colin Rich

What is the best way to maximize shafts of light? I know it helps to have something in the atmosphere (smoke, fog, etc) and I'm assuming it helps to have very concentrated beams.

The scene will be shot on 7218 or 7219. The shafts of light are suppose to represent bars as in a jail cell. I appreciate the advice!

• Premium Member
What is the best way to maximize shafts of light? I know it helps to have something in the atmosphere (smoke, fog, etc) and I'm assuming it helps to have very concentrated beams.

The scene will be shot on 7218 or 7219. The shafts of light are suppose to represent bars as in a jail cell. I appreciate the advice!

It's a combination of a sharp and bright beam of light shining through an even layer of haze. The more the light is pointing into the lens (i.e. backlighting the smoke) the more visible it will be. The more overexposed the light is too, the more visible... especially if it is framed against darkness (you can't see a beam of light as well against a light background.)

It's a combination of a sharp and bright beam of light shining through an even layer of haze. The more the light is pointing into the lens (i.e. backlighting the smoke) the more visible it will be. The more overexposed the light is too, the more visible... especially if it is framed against darkness (you can't see a beam of light as well against a light background.)

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm one of the many, many young cinematographers who has gained much from your replies on this forum.