Shooting HD with Nets

Bob Hayes

Did they give specifics as to why it's a bad idea?

BTW: CSI Miami is using a LOT of net work this new season. I think it's because the 2 leading ladies have a lot of sun damage to there faces. Check out www.stockingshowcase.com for Dior and Vintage RHT hose. He sold me some hard to sell sizes (extra blimpy) really cheap, and gave me some with runners in them because he can't sell them.

Jason

• Premium Member

My only concern would be softening the image too much, especially if this is for blowup to 35mm. What looks razor-sharp on a $40,000 HD monitor gets "smoothed out" plenty on the big screen or after NTSC down-res.

• Premium Member
Correction... I ment CSI Las Vegas is using nets, I don't know if CSI Miami is or not.

J

Yeah, I've seen it a bit on CSI:Vegas, along with streak filters for that simulated anamorphic flare on flashlights. CSI Miami doesn't appear to use nets, but they do love their LOOONG lenses. Helps hide the fact that the majority of the show is lensed in LA. ;)

Yeah, I've seen it a bit on CSI:Vegas, along with streak filters for that simulated anamorphic flare on flashlights. CSI Miami doesn't appear to use nets, but they do love their LOOONG lenses. Helps hide the fact that the majority of the show is lensed in LA. ;)

I've never heard of streak filters for emulating anamorphic lens flares. Please expound.

• Premium Member

A streak filter is like a cross or star filter, but with lines going only in one direction. Highlights flare in a straight line or "streak" perpendicular to the cuts in the glass. Turn the filter so the lines go vertically, and bright specular highlights will create horizontal streaks similar to what you get with anamorphic lenses.

Like all cross filters or nets you have to control the depth of field to hide the filter pattern. Sometimes you can see the repeating vertical lines within the streaked highlight if you're not careful.

A streak filter is like a cross or star filter, but with lines going only in one direction. Highlights flare in a straight line or "streak" perpendicular to the cuts in the glass. Turn the filter so the lines go vertically, and bright specular highlights will create horizontal streaks similar to what you get with anamorphic lenses.

Like all cross filters or nets you have to control the depth of field to hide the filter pattern. Sometimes you can see the repeating vertical lines within the streaked highlight if you're not careful.

Thank you. I can see how DOF could be an issue with ENG style HD camera systems. I'm assuming streak filters would work "normally" with the Panavision's Genesis or Kinetta (Super35 sized imagers).

• Premium Member
Thank you.  I can see how DOF could be an issue with ENG style HD camera systems.  I'm assuming streak filters would work "normally" with the Panavision's Genesis or Kinetta (Super35 sized imagers).

Streak filters can work "normally" with 2/3" video or 16mm systems also, you just have to pay closer attention that you're not giving the shot too much depth of field. And you can give 35mm too much depth of field for front-mounted nets or filters also, if for example you're shooting outdoors on a wide lens at t-11 or t-16!

Streak filters can work "normally" with 2/3" video or 16mm systems also, you just have to pay closer attention that you're not giving the shot too much depth of field. And you can give 35mm too much depth of field for front-mounted nets or filters also, if for example you're shooting outdoors on a wide lens at t-11 or t-16!

I would probably only be using a streak filter during night time exterior and interior scenes. So DOF shouldn't be too difficult to control.

I like the way car headlights and flashlights flare out anamorphic lenses. While there are some nifty software plugins that emulate this effect in post (Knoll Light Factory), they never appear completely authentic.

• Premium Member
I usually shoot video with a Net behind the lens. I?ve been told this is a bad idea with HD. I think a net would really smooth out the HD image. Any thoughts on this subject?

I'm working on some tests tonight with an Ikegami HD camera, and I believe we will be using some nets. I'll post some screenshots tomorrow morning.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm rarely convinced by CSI being set in Vegas. Having been there and to LA each several times, I'm aware that Vegas isn't that huge a city and it'd be very hard to avoid that gigantic glut of hotels in the background of every other shot. It's painfully obvious to me that it's not actually shot where it's supposed to be.

Phil