2.35 in video

Thomas Cousin

hello everybody,

i read some very interestings things everywhere in these forums about manipulate video and use differents tool to achieve certain looks and use video in differents ways.

i was wondering some little things.

does anyone around here ever use anamorphic lenses with digital cameras (from DV to HD), with the use of mini35 or pro35, or maybe with special adatator to fit the camera ? to obtain the 2,66 ratio (and maybe crop to have a real 2.35 after )?

another one : i read some stuff about the anamorphic adaptor that fits in front of the lens to get 16x9 with 4x3 ccd. i wonder if another kind of optical adaptor exists with an anamorphic ratio of x1,77 to get 2.35 with a 4x3 ccd ?

and a last one : if i use a digital camera in 16x9 mode and then i put a the 16x9 anamorphic adaptator in front of the lens, i add the x1,33 anamorphic ratio and so i will obtain 1,77x1,33 = 2.35 aspect ratio...

it's a bit tricky i admit, but it is just theory for me as i never tried ever since.

now, did anyone here ever try some of these solutions ? with what kind of digital cameras ? and what was the results , good or bad ? the kind of depth of field with anamorphic lenses , the texture of image ?

as opposed of course to shoot in full frame and crop the image to the 2.35, which is THE simple solution but results in poor image quality, due to the large loss of resolution in the small height.

so now i let speak ....

thank you

thomas

• Premium Member

Hi,

I'm still trying to find out if it's possible to make a 1/2" video to PL mount convertor - Les Bosher wasn't sure, and I need to get back and see if he's figured it out. You'd get 2.66:1 on a 4:3 CCD, which would be croppable to 2.40 without losing much. Certainly better than shooting flat 16:9 and cropping.

Phil

Thomas,

I'm new to posting here but I'm a long-time lurker.

Your best idea is to use a 16x9 native camera and affix the 16:9 anamorphic attachment on top of that. Once you squeeze it all back into shape, you'll get something closer to 2.66, but the vertical resolution will be considerably improved.

Saul Pincus

Director/Cinematographer/Editor

Splice Heist Inc.