Canon 514 XL-S exposure question

Ray Noori

Hello all,

Simple question. I just purchased my first auto-exposure only Super 8mm camera, the Canon 514 XL-S, but have had little luck in finding its manual online. I have a number of cartridges, VISION 2 200T and 500T as well as Tri-X reversal and Plus-X reversal.

My question is, can I trust the auto-exposure on the camera with any of these stocks? I'm pretty sure that at least the 500T would be too fast for it, but would the exposure be decent for the rest of the stocks? I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Ray

The manual used to be around but seems to have disappeared. But here's some details:

The 514XLS can read three different ASA speed-notches: film speeds of 40, 160, and 250, as well as their daylight compliments of ASA 25, 100, and 160. There's some confusion over this out there, but according to the specs, the 514XLS will read daylight films accurately per the SMPTE standard for super 8.

This makes sense, as it is the standard Canon protocol for its medium range, mid-1970's cameras.

The daylight ASA speeds are obtained when a daylight filter-notchless cartridge depresses a filter pin inside the camera compartment. This then resets the meter to read the standard daylight films. By design, all daylight super 8 films are rated at these daylight compliments of ASA 25, 100, or 160, without an 85 correction filter.

Both Tri-X and Plus-X are daylight films with notchless cartridges. Tri-X is speed-notched by Kodak at ASA 250, Plus -X is at ASA 160. So supplied in notchless daylight cartridges as they are, the 514XLS will reset the exposure meter to read them correctly at their ASAs of 160 and 100, respectively (Kodak deliberately chooses to meter Tri-X at ASA 160, despite its actual ASA rating of 200.) The internal 85 filter will also be disabled. This, too, is a Kodak decision.

So you're A-OK with both B/W films.

VISION 500 will be read as ASA 160 as well, because the camera can only read as high as ASA 250, and as the VISION stocks are supplied in notchless cartridges too, the meter will be reset to ASA 160. That means VISION 500 will be overexposed by at least 1 1/2 stops with the Canon 514XLS.

VISION 200 is speed-notched at ASA 160, but is supplied in a notchless cartridge. Under the super 8 protocol, this means that the film will be exposed by the 514XLS at the 'daylight' ASA 100 rating. The internal filter will also be disabled by the notchless cartridge.

Even though this is one stop overexposed, it's how Kodak likes it. Because the film is rated for tungsten light, an external 85 over the lens is necessary outdoors, unless you choose to remove the color cast in the transfer.

So, the 514XLS will run Tri-X, Plus-X, and VISION 200 accurately. If you cut a filter notch in the VISION 200 cartridge, you can run it at a closer ASA 160 rating if you like, and also can make use of the camera's internal 85 filter.

The camera will also run 100D if it is notched per the Kodak protocol, like Plus-X. Some companies notch it differently, and they rely on cameras to read intermediate ASA speeds. The 514XLS can't do this.

E64T is a different case. The 514XLS will misread the film as ASA 160, which means you have to compensate for this 1 1/3 stop underexposure. Take a reading, then point the camera to a scene that's 1 1/3 stops greater. Press the EE lock button to freeze the reading at this setting.

You can also put a piece of tape over the speed-notch of the 64T, to trick the camera into reading the film as ASA 40. In this case, the film will be 2/3 stop overexposed, but it's still acceptable. And it's easier than holding down the EE lock button.

Edited by Jim Carlile

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)
Here's some Vision 2 200T from a 514XLS with no filter

Giles,

That footage looks great. Did you notch the film cartridge and use the camera's internal meter, or did you use an external meter and the EE lock?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron,

no notch modifications, just the cameras internal meter, no filter on the front - just dropped 'n' shot - its was a cart. end from a wedding shoot I had as I wanted to see how this worked out. The footage is bluish to me but it just goes to show that the latitude means don't worry!

Cheers

The 514XLS should read 200T accurately per spec., but it will be one-stop overexposed which is OK according to Kodak. The 814/1014XLS cameras will also read it correctly though at the same 100D ASA rating. If you want a filter, you need to place it over the lens as the internal 85 filter in all S8 cameras will be disabled by the notchless cartridge.

The bluishiness is caused by the color temperature and the tungsten film. Depends upon the time of day how excessive it is. Late afternoon = less filtering required.

Simple question. I just purchased my first auto-exposure only Super 8mm camera, the Canon 514 XL-S, but have had little luck in finding its manual online.

Ray,

I have a manual in pdf form. Send me a mail at wheeltapper@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.

Hey, how about you buy another 514XL-S, you know, for spares ;) I have one needing a good home now the 4008's arrived.

Cheers

PK