Wide angle C-mount lenses that Cover Super 16

ajaxphoto

Aloha All,

I Have recently had my C-mount Camera Converted to Super 16. I shoot action sports & mostly with very wide lenses. I use the angenieux 5.9 & Century 3.5. I know the Angenieux 5.9 does not cover the Super 16mm frame. I have purchased the Kinoptik 5.7 & it does cover the Super 16mm frame but it is huge & Heavy. My Question is does any one know of any other wide angle lenses or combinations of lenses that will cover the super 16mm frame. I am wondering if any one knows if the newer Switar 10mm with the 5.5 Aspheron adaptor covers the Super 16mm frame. I also noticed a Shnieder 10mm with a Nizo adaptor on e-bay that supposedly covers the Super 16mm frame. Does any one know which Nizo adaptor this is???? there are three types, & I am not sure which this was. or if it needs a stepdown ring. I have also Spoke with Photosonics in LA & They Claim the newer Century 3.5 Covers the Super 16mm Frame, But When I spoke with Century Optics in LA they Said it did not. Does anyone have any expeirience shooting with this setup??? Does it vignette? Because if you have to crop in to the film image you are not getting as wide an image as the lens supposedly is, & the Image Quality suffers. Any help with these topics would be great.

Mahalo,

ajax

Do you live in Hawaii? Do you shoot surf? I may know you... I am having the same problem . I had an angenieux 5.9 now have the kinoptic and yes it is big.. Z I have been told that the 10mm angeniux covers super but haven't tested it yet. Also when I look through thwe angenieux 5.9 it doesn't look like there is a prob but I need to shoot a roll. Everyne says it doesn't cover. Is this homcey?

Aloha All,

I Have recently had my C-mount Camera Converted to Super 16.  I shoot action sports & mostly with very wide lenses.  I use the angenieux 5.9 & Century 3.5.  I know the Angenieux 5.9 does not cover the Super 16mm frame.  I have purchased the Kinoptik 5.7 & it does cover the Super 16mm frame but it is huge & Heavy.  My Question is does any one know of any other wide angle  lenses or combinations of lenses  that will cover the super 16mm frame.  I am wondering if any one knows if the newer Switar 10mm with the 5.5 Aspheron adaptor covers the Super 16mm frame.  I also noticed a Shnieder 10mm with a Nizo adaptor on e-bay that supposedly covers the Super 16mm frame.  Does any one know which Nizo adaptor this is????  there are three types, & I am not sure which this was. or if it needs a stepdown ring.  I have also Spoke with Photosonics in LA & They Claim the newer Century 3.5 Covers the Super 16mm Frame, But When I spoke with Century Optics in LA they Said it did not.  Does anyone have any expeirience shooting with this setup???  Does it vignette?  Because if you have to crop in to the film image you are not getting as wide an image as the lens supposedly is, & the Image Quality suffers.  Any help with these topics would be great.

Mahalo,

ajax

Hi;

Also the Peleng 8mm, its cheap and very wide in S16 but I've found it to be suprisingly decent for it's cost, I think it's made for 35mm usage as a fisheye lens but in S16 you get a cropped image so sides of the S16 frame are still really sharp due to the lens quality there.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I recently saw a post on EBAY for a 10mm schneider with a Schneider NIZO III wide angle attachment. THey said it covered super 16mm. I know the 10mm does, but have never seen it coupled with this lens to make a 5.7mm super 16 capable lens.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

The 10mm is an M55 filter (55mm) and the Nizo III documentation (seen on a scan on ebay ) says that it works with an M67 or M62

what's up with that? is it a simple 55 to 62 ot 67 filter adapter and voila?

Brent

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Im about to modify to super-16 one of my bolexes, i have read around that the Switar 1.6 10mm is not suitable for super16. Have anyone of you tried super16 with this prime? What is the experience, what about ultra-16 coverage with this lens.

Thank you for replying.

Hi;

Do a search on this for much discussion, let me just say that I use this lens alot with a S16 Bolex and I find that the image gets slight vignetting which I have cropped out in telecine, infact it's so mild if it's just for Video it falls way outside the view of domestic televisions......

Olly