beam of light through window for day interior at a mansion

Scottie Mei

Hi, I am creating a sun light effect (hard beam)for a day interior scene, and wonder if anyone has a=ideas of what kind of lighting fixture would be appropriate and affordable for the budget. a 4K Mole Beam HMI cross my mind, but it is kind of expensive. the lens diameter of the light need to be fairly big to sell the effect. BTW, it is a scene in a mansion.thanks.

Considered a Xenon light?

And if you do plan on using an HMI, do you have the ability to rig the light outside and somewhat far away from the window? You have to worry about the beam spread and inverse square law when trying to recreate direct sunlight. If the light coming from the window is noticeably spreading out, it's too obvious that there's a light rigged just outside.

How big is the window?

How long is the scene? If it's shortish, you may be able to catch the sun with a mirror board and direct it into the window. Then, no worries about inverse square law. I would still make sure that you can get the mirror high enough to simulate the sun's angle in the sky.

With this approach, you will probably need to have a good bit of light inside to bring up the ambient level, as the ratios will be extreme using real sunlight.

Oh, and haze it up.

Best

Considered a Xenon light?

And if you do plan on using an HMI, do you have the ability to rig the light outside and somewhat far away from the window? You have to worry about the beam spread and inverse square law when trying to recreate direct sunlight. If the light coming from the window is noticeably spreading out, it's too obvious that there's a light rigged just outside.

How big is the window?

sorry i didn't specify the location. the room has a skylight right above, consider the room as cylinder and the skylight is right in the center above. I am planning put a 1/4 light grid to diffuse the light and skirt down for spills for ambience level, the the windows around the building is about 4'x5' and there are 7 of them. some of them will be blacked out to create contrast and I want the beam of light coming in at a roughly 40 degree angle high as a 3/4 back light. I am a bit worried the Xenon might not give me enough width for the beam i desired. and by the way. I do have a 60' condor on set. please feel free to contribute your thoughts. thanks very much.

How long is the scene? If it's shortish, you may be able to catch the sun with a mirror board and direct it into the window. Then, no worries about inverse square law. I would still make sure that you can get the mirror high enough to simulate the sun's angle in the sky.

With this approach, you will probably need to have a good bit of light inside to bring up the ambient level, as the ratios will be extreme using real sunlight.

Oh, and haze it up.

Best

thanks Marc, I am planning to do a light haze, and the mirror is a good idea!! :rolleyes: