Does 50i on Z1 definitely mean it is in PAL?

Morgan Peline

Hi,

This might sound like a strange question but...

I am here in Beijing learning Mandarin. I might have job on for a UK company. They need some footage shooting on a Z1 in HDV mode in PAL 50i.

My Mandarin chinese is really bad at the moment. I tried to find out if the Z1 a Beijing rental house are renting is HDV PAL or HDV NTSC.

Basically they said in DV mode it is PAL but in HDV mode it is either 50i or 60i - there is no PAL or NTSC....This doesn't sound right to me but as I said my chinese is really basic so I can't question them properly...

I am therefore assuming that if I set the camera to 50i it is in PAL mode...

Is that right?

Thanks!

Basically they said in DV mode it is PAL but in HDV mode it is either 50i or 60i - there is no PAL or NTSC....This doesn't sound right to me but as I said my chinese is really basic so I can't question them properly...

I am therefore assuming that if I set the camera to 50i it is in PAL mode...

Is that right?

Thanks!

well, they are right when they tell you, that there is no PAL or NTSC mode in HDV. PAL refers to an Standard Definition Signal (720x576 or whatsoever) and not to an HD/HDV or what ever signal.

BUT, in "PAL"-countries you would still need an 50i Signal (or 25p) in HD mode, since the framerate kind of was kept from the PAL world. so, when you shoot in 50i HDV, that would be no problem at all to be downconverted to PAL since it´s only a downres. not framerate change needs to be done. but if you are asked to deliver PAL, then it is a SD-Signal.

hope that helps,

timo