Horror Short -- The Look

Josh Hill

• Premium Member

Its less than a week before my friend and I begin shooting our short film for a 48 hour horror film festival/competition and I'm looking for suggestions about different looks that can be given in camera (without spending the entire school week making minute changes in settings). We have 48 hours to write/produce/edit/submit the DV short starting after 7pm the 22nd.

We'll be using an XL1s with 14x Manual lens. We may end up having a small light kit (2 Arrilight 1ks, 1 Arrilight 650, 1 650 Fresnel, 1 300W Fresnel), but the only thing that can be guaranteed lighting wise is the two fresnels (since I own them). We'll probably be on sticks most of the time, but we may end up going handheld (or, may even end up with a doorway dolly if we're extremely lucky).

We don't want a "film look," we know that for sure. There's no way with our budget (nothing) and our time (48 hours total) that we can come anywhere close. What we're wanting to do is use the video aesthetic itself. We're considering shooting with a higher Gain to make everything "grittier," but it may be a necessity depending on how much light we end up with. I'm also playing with the idea of reducing saturation in camera. But aside from that, I'm kind of lost on ideas.

So just throw something out there. Favorite looks? Favorite ways to use video to create a mood? Use of lighting in horror films? Whatever you want to throw out there really.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi,

Shoot odd colours. I'm not sure what adjustment you have available on the XL1, but even if you shot through a blue filter then pulled that back out (which, if you expose carefully enough, should be a one off operation that doesn't need tweaking) you'd get some kind of look.

Phil

I was recently a DP for a 48hour Film Fest in New Zealand and it all went horribly wrong. Looked good but... oh well. My advice is get the script as good content wise as you can, then to keep it as simple as possible in the field. Concentrate on getting it shot as quickly and cleanly as you can so you have more time to play with "looks" in post. Most of the teams that FTD'd (Failed To Deliver) left too little time to finish editing.