motion control with timelaps

Richard Ladkani

I have seen this kind of shot before but never so often as in the BBCs Planet Earth.

The camera pans across a wideshot of a gran scenery in Scotland and the seasons change from snow to spring to summer to fall in 40seconds. They do it again and again on different locations I want to know what technique hey used. I am guessing a 35mm still camera or a D2 digital on a rotating base plate attached to a computer or something. But I would like to know it excatly if anybody knows.

Best

Richard

www.richardladkani.com

Edited by Richard Ladkani

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have seen this kind of shot before but never so often as in the BBCs Planet Earth.

The camera pans across a wideshot of a gran scenery in Scotland and the seasons change from snow to spring to summer to fall in 40seconds. They do it again and again on different locations I want to know what technique hey used. I am guessing a 35mm still camera or a D2 digital on a rotating base plate attached to a computer or something. But I would like to know it excatly if anybody knows.

Best

Richard

www.richardladkani.com

On the T/L MoCon sequences I shot for Planet Earth we used a 35mm Arri and a MoSys rig. I know of at least 2 other DPs who also used this gear for PE. http://www.cartoni.com/PDF/DS/DS_MOSYS_LAMBDA.pdf

Best

Richard

www.richardladkani.com

I may be mistaken but i believe they hired the Mo-Sys rig from Kontrol Freax

I remember (I think) Steve Scammel of Kontrol Freax saying they left the track down and returned to them periodicaly, for the multiple pases.

I'm currently in the market for a cheap moco system for my DLSR, to shoot 2- or 3-axis timelapses, with dolly-pan or dolly-pan-tilt. A lot of these systems seems like overkill my modest needs, though. I don't really need repeatability, I just need the camera to move between long-duration night exposures. Any recommendations?

That's a nice rig!

S

Its very small and light-weight too, plus its extremly easy to use. The movements can be operated manually and the computer will record it for playback like a VCR, as well Key-frames and virtual maping too.

It does of course have its limitations too.

• Premium Member
I may be mistaken but i believe they hired the Mo-Sys rig from Kontrol Freax

I remember (I think) Steve Scammel of Kontrol Freax saying they left the track down and returned to them periodicaly, for the multiple pases.

Steve Scammel was the chap - thanks for posting his details. His kit was top notch, easy to use and set up. I reccommend him highly - he was good fun to work with.

cheers,

• Premium Member
I'm currently in the market for a cheap moco system for my DLSR, to shoot 2- or 3-axis timelapses, with dolly-pan or dolly-pan-tilt. A lot of these systems seems like overkill my modest needs, though. I don't really need repeatability, I just need the camera to move between long-duration night exposures. Any recommendations?

The problem when going lighter is one of backlash. I don't know of any systems for a DSLR but as they are such a great tool for some TL jobs hopefully someone will come up with something. Until then I can only suggest rigging up a custom X/Y camera stage with stepper motors.

If you have the time and tools:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php

Its very small and light-weight too, plus its extremly easy to use. The movements can be operated manually and the computer will record it for playback like a VCR, as well Key-frames and virtual maping too.

It does of course have its limitations too.

Do you know if it will time-lapse your movements? Which obviously will be created in real time.......

S

Do you know if it will time-lapse your movements? Which obviously will be created in real time.......

S

Yes, you can record the movement in real time, then have the computer play the movement back at a given lower (or higher) frame rate.