35mm lenses on super16

Hey,

Im AC'ing a short coming up which is using Zeiss superspeed 35mm lenses, but shooting on 16mm, how does that effect my depth of field?

I know i am still shooting the same format, so my COfC will stay the same right? but 35mm lenses have a shallower depth of field, so will it reduce my depth of field, from say if i was using 16mm lenses? and if so, how can i get depth of field tables for this reduction in depth of field?

any help would be great, thanks for your time,

Tommy Holman

• Premium Member
An instructor once told me to not chance using a set of PL mount Zeiss primes made for 35mm on a Super16 SR2 because the rear element could interfere with the shutter. Is that a problem anyone has run into?

No, if anything it would be the other way. The 35 aperture is wider, so the mirror at 45 degrees to the film plane would have to extend farther from that plane at the optical axis. If you're worried, test it. With the camera empty, inch the shutter open, mount the lens, focus to infinity, and very gently inch it while looking thru the aperture.

The other caveat using 35 format lenses on 16 is that the wide angles, say 18 mm and wider, will have a lot of design compromises that make them not as sharp and flat as the same focal length designed only to cover 16mm.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
No, if anything it would be the other way. The 35 aperture is wider, so the mirror at 45 degrees to the film plane would have to extend farther from that plane at the optical axis. If you're worried, test it. With the camera empty, inch the shutter open, mount the lens, focus to infinity, and very gently inch it while looking thru the aperture.

The other caveat using 35 format lenses on 16 is that the wide angles, say 18 mm and wider, will have a lot of design compromises that make them not as sharp and flat as the same focal length designed only to cover 16mm.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the information John. I'll give that test a try.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the information John. I'll give that test a try.

Do it VERY gingerly and disconnect the battery when you do it. You don't want any chance of accidentally phasing or running the camera with something in the way of the mirror. That would be a very expensive mistake with, I'm betting, a really sickening noise associated. :o :blink:

Just keep in mind that there is an effective change in focal length (like putting a 35mm SLR lens on a smaller format DSLR).

Hi- I hate to be the one to point this out, but if I put a 50mm lens on an SR3 then just exactly what focal length does it effectively become?

and yes, I already know the answer.... ;)

• Premium Member
Hi- I hate to be the one to point this out, but if I put a 50mm lens on an SR3 then just exactly what focal length does it effectively become?

and yes, I already know the answer.... ;)

I don't like it when people refer to it as an effective change in focal length, either. <_<

It's a change in field of view. Nothing more.