Rates

Daniel Wallens

Hello all,

I am fully aware that being concerned with others' rates while working is a considerable faux pas, but something has been egging me for a bit. How does the key grip's rate compare to the gaffer's? Are they usually/supposed to be the same? I was under the impression that it was. Also, does the BB grip generally have the same rate as the dolly grip?

Of course, I know this depends on the production, the relationship of the hire-ie, and the deal one works out at the beginning, before production. But in general, typically, are these people supposed to make the same amount? Discounting kit rentals, of course.

Generally, Key Grip and Gaffer are the same rate. Best Boy and Dolly Grip are also often the same, although some contracts (LA basic) have the Dolly Grip at a couple of dollars more (at scale). Generally, we negotiate a rate above scale so the dolly and best boy often end up being the same for a particular production. It's actually a good idea to keep an eye on what the other departments are making so you know how to negotiate. I know of jobs where the key found out the gaffer was making a little more (and vice versa) and renegotiated and got the same, higher rate.