Exposure Index for DVC30

Peter Osinski

Wayyyy too tricky, and it'll take a lot of trial and error before you get it right...which you won't...I guarantee it. You can use your DVC30 to preview your shot before you roll film.

Just get an inexpensive Sekonic Studio deluxe meter and do it the right way if you're not wanting to spend a lot of dough on the proper tools.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

ok thanks, Ive spent about 3000 bucks so far on this surf film I have been working on (over the last few months) and it has been a constant drain on my not currently employed-college student budget. I am trying to save as much money as I can between camera equipment and travel so that I have enough money to get the dvd duplicated before the premier

• Premium Member
Wayyyy too tricky, and it'll take a lot of trial and error before you get it right...which you won't...I guarantee it. You can use your DVC30 to preview your shot before you roll film.

Just get an inexpensive Sekonic Studio deluxe meter and do it the right way if you're not wanting to spend a lot of dough on the proper tools.

Yeah, seriously Peter that's good advice. Film speeds are linear but quite often whatever "speed" you come up with for a

particular video camera may be true within a certain range but then changes elsewhere. For example, in THE HVX

BOOK by Barry Green, it's discussed how they figured the camera to be about equivalent to 320 ASA using HD Norm gamma, 24P, 1/48th shutter speed with an 18% gray card and against a Sekonic L-508C in spotmeter mode. "In a very low light scene...the spotmeter reported that the HVX was responding at about 125 ISO." Setting it to an interlaced mode (as is the

DVC-30) also changed the sensitivity. (pp.24-25)

I do love the DVC-30. It's a nifty camera but I wouldn't use it for a lightmeter.

Good luck.