Hello All,

I just finished shooting a 16mm short film at school and to finish out the class my instructor has asked us to create a mock INVOICE for the shoot. We are suppose to use a realistic pay rate for our job and include the source where we found the pay rate and the city, i.e. New York, LA, FLorida... I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help on the matter. I was the Director of Photography for the shoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member
Hello All,

I just finished shooting a 16mm short film at school and to finish out the class my instructor has asked us to create a mock INVOICE for the shoot. We are suppose to use a realistic pay rate for our job and include the source where we found the pay rate and the city, i.e. New York, LA, FLorida... I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help on the matter. I was the Director of Photography for the shoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DP rates range from Zero to a Gadzillion, so you can almost make up anything...

I suppose the basic IATSE Local 600 minimum DP rate would be one place to start, though it took me nearly a decade even to get that. I think it's around $700/day these days.

I started out at about $250-300/day as a DP when I left film school. But I recall being paid even less, and I've even worked for free.

Well what do you think you are worth? I would recommend going BIG! :-) I would say get in touch with local 600 so that you have a verifiable source for a minimum union DP rate, then add a little because no one wants to work for scale. Something around $1000/day should be decent and some DPs get that on a somewhat regular basis. Just remember that you will most likely not be making anywhere near that for quite a while after you graduate film school, if ever.

~Jess

DP rates range from Zero to a Gadzillion, so you can almost make up anything...

I suppose the basic IATSE Local 600 minimum DP rate would be one place to start, though it took me nearly a decade even to get that. I think it's around $700/day these days.

I started out at about $250-300/day as a DP when I left film school. But I recall being paid even less, and I've even worked for free.

Thanks alot David. That is really all I needed was the IATSE Local 600 minimum, but i just couldn't find out where to find, so I appreciate your help!