Bulk Photography Film as Movie Film

Is it possible to take a bulk load of say 100ft of bulk photography film, and use it in a 35mm movie cam?

Now, my first inclination would be to check the distance between perforations in the bulk photography film. I searched but found nothing and thought this would be a good place to check.

My second inclination is that if the perfs from photography film are a different distance apart than standard movie film, then how/where would I go about changing the hook in the 35mm cam?

My third inclination is that of course it is possible, but has anyone tried it?

My fourth concern is processing.

I thought this might be a good question/idea for some advanced folk.

Edited by Colin M

• Premium Member

In addition to the perfs being a different shape, motion picture film also has an anti-halation, anti-static "rem jet backing." Without this backing still photography film can suffer from halation (bright highlights reflecting back off the film base and/or camera pressure plate, fogging the film) and static can buildup as the film moves through the gate at 24fps, discharging as streaks and flashes on the film.

Most still films have anti-halation layers as the same effect would happen in a still camera - the Chinese brand 'Lucky' is sought after for its lack of anti-halation for those who like the effect...

So the films shot with Velvia transparency - 'What Dreams May Come' for instance ... Was that a special cine brew of velvia ? (as would be the 16mm Velvia's available online ?)

I'd certainly love to able to shoot Ilford 3200 B+W in cine - Or for instance Rollei R3 which depending on developer can be rated from 25-6400 ASA ... The recently discontinued Kodak IR films (HIE etc...) would be interesting also, but due to the speed perhaps would only be used for timelapse anyway - anyone know of any cine examples ?

It seems that for color its mostly stills people wanting to shoot vision2 and its the remjet causing an issue for them.

Grass is always greener ;)

In addition to the perfs being a different shape, motion picture film also has an anti-halation, anti-static "rem jet backing." Without this backing still photography film can suffer from halation (bright highlights reflecting back off the film base and/or camera pressure plate, fogging the film) and static can buildup as the film moves through the gate at 24fps, discharging as streaks and flashes on the film.

I'm not entirely opposed to halation, besides not having that rem-jet backing, would make the film a bit easier to self process.

But still, is there a way to modify a movie cam to shoot photography film?