Running an Arri 2B

Eric Black

Hello everyone, I have purchased an Arri 2B to do some MOS work. I have worked in 16 and 35 and have experience with a few cameras.

The only problem is .... I can't figure out how to run the Arri 2B!

It has a crystal-sync flatbase, but I am not seeing any knobs or switches to get this thing going. Its quite an embarassing problem as I have used film before, with no problems. How do I get it running?? The online 2c manual is no help, as the diagrams are poorly copied and do not show any detail.

Any help would be appreciated. I have batteries hooked up to the sync motor on the flatbase.

• Premium Member

What flat base do you have? There are quite a number of different ones. There is the Tobin Crystal sync flat base. The Cinematography Electronics crystal sync flat base. There are a number of flat bases where you use the ARRI motor or a crystal sync motor like the Thoma motor. If you could post a picture of what flat base/motor combination you have, we can probably tell you how to turn the motor on.

If you are using a flat base that incorporates the ARRI constant speed motor, that motor has a switch mounted on it, right where it mounts to the base. It is a toggle switch.

Best,

-Tim

Picture of the motor

Area circled in RED:

This appears to be a switch or something, but it doesn't move at all, it won't go up or down or anything, and is a solid piece.

Area circled in BLUE:

This is a knob that turns around, but doesn't do much more than that.

post-32250-1205010812.jpg

• Premium Member

Eric,

You've got an odd duck there. If your numbers are correct, that is a very early Tobin crystal motor set up, something that got put together and could be used on a number of different cameras. From Clive's web site:

"There was also an unrelated series, TXM-9S, which shared the circuit board but with different parts installed, mounted in a rectangular box, used with modified Arri 35mm 2A-2B-2C and 16-S and 16-M cameras. We have been unable to find any existing computer files on these."

I would suggest taking very clear pictures of the whole base, from all four sides, and the wiring between the base and the Milliframe controller, and giving Clive Tobin a call on Monday (509-922-7841). He may be able to tell you how to make it work. But it may be missing some parts.

Best,

-Tim

I have a base that looks very very similar. Mine is a genuine Arriflex AC Sync base (as are used in blimps). It has a frame counter etc on mine. The pin you have circled in red is not a switch. It is just an alignment pin onto which the switch box would originally slide, it serves a mechanical purpose, not electrical. There is a photo of one of these bases at Nathans site:

http://www.owyheesound.com/images/arri-2-i...at-base-mot.jpg

You can just see the pin that you have circled red on the above photo.

It is highly likley that someone has retro-fitted another motor onto your base. It would pay to get an electrical/electronic guru to see if they can figure out the wiring/voltage requirements.

Henry.

Picture of the motor

Area circled in RED:

This appears to be a switch or something, but it doesn't move at all, it won't go up or down or anything, and is a solid piece.

Area circled in BLUE:

This is a knob that turns around, but doesn't do much more than that.

• 2 weeks later...