DELICATESSEN

Hello everyone,

I'm reading the book New Cinematographers by A. Ballinger and in it, Khondji mentions that he used a 25mm cooke lens for the majority of the film, I'm wondering which Cooke, do you think it might be the cooke panchros?

I'm shooting a 35mm short and the director really likes the look of Delicatessen, we are going Panavision with a 2k DI, which Panavision optic do you guys think will be a better match?

Since we are going DI (this will be my first one), should I opt for a sharper image and soften it during the DI?

Any comments are appreciated,

Francisco

• Premium Member

They used the Cooke S2/S3 series.

If you are going for a 2K DI then the image will get softened already, so by all means use the Primos. If at all possible, you might want to shoot a short test and do your DI with filmout so you can get an idea how it looks like on the big screen. Usually companies do that for free if you do the whole film with them.

• Premium Member

Sort of apples and oranges anyway -- Khondji was using softer lower-contrast lenses, sometimes with smoke or a VariCon to lower the contrast further, but a silver-retention process to the positive that would increase contrast and sharpness. Whereas you're doing a D.I., so the subtleties of using a Cooke versus a Primo are minor compared the bigger difference in how you are posting the movie compared to how they posted it.

It's a little like when those people shooting in 16mm ask what stock a 35mm movie used to create their look.

All really good points, thanks

Do you think 5229 is more suitable for the look I'm trying to achieve, meaning less contrast but still able to bring it up in post and a bit softer.

I will try to do a test but not sure if we can afford it.

Has anyone used the new vision3 500t stock?

thanks again.

Sort of apples and oranges anyway -- Khondji was using softer lower-contrast lenses, sometimes with smoke or a VariCon to lower the contrast further, but a silver-retention process to the positive that would increase contrast and sharpness. Whereas you're doing a D.I., so the subtleties of using a Cooke versus a Primo are minor compared the bigger difference in how you are posting the movie compared to how they posted it.

It's a little like when those people shooting in 16mm ask what stock a 35mm movie used to create their look.

Does anyone know how he achieved the greeny-orange look?

Cheers

S