My Viewfinder Dream

Guest Kal Karman

Guest kalkarman

Howdy, I just can't seem to get what I dream of:

A viewfnder that is a thin 16:9 LCD screen that I can either hang around my neck or strap to my forearm. That screen would have a lightweight but durable battery, and be connected wireless to the camera. I imagine somethng in size and feel like the playstation portable, or imagine a longer, slightly bigger iphone.

A final need would be a small camera, like that on your cellphone, to take frames, and record temporary videos to try out camera movements.

Anyone out there know if my dream viewfinder exists??

Many thanks,

Kal

Well you could combine a small LCD,a UHF transmitter, a tiny digital camera, a clamshell recorded, a panaframe, some sort of archers wrist guard, lots of duct tape. But at that point it would start to look like a one man band rig. Did I mention lots of duct tape? That's kinda important.

I just want a transmitter that works in 802.11 b/g mode and can send images to my I touch. That way I can check the frame and space without walking back to the camera or monitor. That and every film tool made out of antimantium. I always seem to find all gears engineering limit. One day gear will be antimantium 'collier proof' construction. Now if they could make it mike 'biffy' bergstrom proof' that would be good to. But that would be pushing even antimantiums limit.

Guest kalkarman

I think there is this very real gap in the industry. Directors want to be free on set, and not chained down to a chair. What we end up doing a lot is holding a clamshell next to camera, operating the camera itself, or just peeking over the focus puller's head and watching his mini LCD.

With the technology that is out there, I'm sure a product that I'm describing could be built:

1) size and weight of PSP (playstation portable)

2) wireless video reception of A & B Cameras

3) with small cellphone like lens to take digital stills, and record brief videos. Also displaying lens size like any viewfinder for various formats.

4) automatic recording of takes, and multiple frame rate renders like Vantage's PSU (http://www.pagelocation.com/pagelocation/psu.htm)

I think directors would pay handsomly for a product this well made. I think existing monitors are caught up in lots of Inputs and outputs. I think industry should concentrate on a wireless device. If the battery weighs too much, I for one would have no problem swapping batteries every two hours or so.... thus keeping weight down on the product.

Is there really no company out there developing such products for directors??

Really curious,

Kal

• Premium Member

I am putting together some monitors of my own right now for video assist work - 7" LCDs with batteries about the same size on the back, so bigger than what you're talking about. They're nothing special.

The problems with doing this sort of thing are manifold:

- The RF links break up. You can have a link that will break up little or not at all, but it will cost more than anyone is willing to pay.

- It becomes a great rickety pile of gear. I'm having cordura shoulder bags made up for the monitor, battery and receiver. You can have a nice integrated unit in a custom-built hard case, but it will cost more than anyone is willing to pay.

- If you can't charge a battery faster than you can discharge it, you need either at least three per monitor or enough to run 14-16 hours. You cannot use

full size broadcast camera batteries because most of them are too big and those that aren't cost too much, so you have to either buy something cheaper or roll your own.

Basically the problem is that the fee for video assist is what it is and adding more kit to the job doesn't really allow you to charge more. Beyond the basics of presenting equipment which is tidy and reliable, there is a huge gap until you get to a point where you can afford to do it "properly". It is, at the end of the day, only a preview - until it gets to the point where the director decides he really really wanted to see that take...

P

Guest kalkarman

Idea: I see many basic small video cameras have DV IN .

What could be the smallest, battery powered video transmitter on the market to plug into it?

Perhaps there's been some development on this in the steadi cam business?

Curious,

Kal

Directors want to be free on set, and not chained down to a chair.

There was a time when Directors just stood next to camera and watched the performance. They knew what the frame was and trusted the operator....

The last time that happened to me was at film school, because none of our cameras had video assist.

Bliss.

• Premium Member
There was a time when Directors just stood next to camera and watched the performance. They knew what the frame was and trusted the operator....

The last time that happened to me was at film school, because none of our cameras had video assist.

Bliss.

What I would give for a day I didn't have to hassle with monitors. I think I'm on the worst show for that ever. It's a reality show where we NEED wireless transmitters (lots of off the cuff movement with many characters, 2 or 3 cameras, lots of places and situations where a BNC just trips people up) but we have a (yes only one for 2 or 3 cameras) little hardwired monitor instead.

To the OP: Have you checked out the RED LCD? I assume it will work with cameras other than the red. When I used it, I was surprised how small and light it is, and how sharp it looks. It's not nearly as mushy looking as other LCDs I have used.

The RED LCD will only work on the RED camera. The reason it is so light is that it just a panel in a casing. All the drivers are located inside the camera. Smart design for the system, but not if you want to use the LCD elsewhere.

• Premium Member
The RED LCD will only work on the RED camera. The reason it is so light is that it just a panel in a casing. All the drivers are located inside the camera. Smart design for the system, but not if you want to use the LCD elsewhere.

That's a shame. I was impressed with it and thought it might be a good little LCD to own, but not if it only works with one camera. Thanks for the clarification, Mitch.