viewfinder masking

Deepak Bajracharya

It can be done with scotch tape but it is not easy. I suggest having a camera technician perform this for you.

Namaste Mitch,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried to mask on the eyepiece and immediately realise that it will be a difficult task. I have yet to go through with unscrewing the viewfinder and give a try.

We dont have a qualified tech to perform this job in Kathmandu for the moment, have to send to other country which is not viable at this time, so I must have to go with masking.

Thank you very much for your input. Seek your advice as always.

with best regards,

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

post-356-1234659280.jpg

Namaste,

I have done something like this for the viewfinder masking as per the suggestion.

Firstly, tried to figure out the tentative coverage of the given aspect ratio by framing the Frame Chart and mask by the scotch tape on the viewfinder.

Secondly, figured out the tentative area by the tape, took the unexposed/developed 35mm still negative ( can find on the begining of the roll ), made a cutout size to fit onto the viewfinder and began to find the ratio by cutting on the center with the small paper knife.

Trying for the numurous time, finally came to get closer to the 2.40:1 ratio.

With best regards,

• Premium Member
Dont know whether it is the professional approach or not.

With best regards,

Don't think it's going to work !

You need to mark up the ground glass not the viewfinder. It will just be out of focus....

You have an XTR plus ? Im afraid it's not that easy to remove the ground glass from what i remember.

jb