Cartridge Compatability

darren walsh

Hi

I wondered if there was a good resource on the web anywhere that listed various cartridges and there compatability with certain cameras

I have a Kodak Tri-X Reersal cartridge and I wondered if will work in either of my cameras

I have a Canon 514XL and a minolta autopak-8 d6

I tried a Kodak Ektachrome 64T Color Reversal cartridge in my 514 last year and it didn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

• Premium Member

Just to clarify: by "compatibility", do you mean the correct reading of the exposure index coded via the notches on the cartridges right-hand side (so that ASA/ISO is auto-set), or do you mean the various types of cartridge designs discussed here?

Smallformat magazine once printed a list of cameras that could read E-64 correctly or not, but a sizeable junk of cams listed there were not entirely correctly classified. You can search for that article as a PDF file on their website at smallformat.de .

the canon 514 cameras are odd beasts. Not only are thet 40/160 tungsten 25/100 daylight only cameras, they read 64t as 160, not 40 like most 40/160 cameras do. this means that if the camera is working as designed it will underexpose 64t by 1 and 1/3rd stops. It will be dark. But this camera can use Tri-x, Plus-x and 100d ektachrome. As it has no manual setting, it is hard to use 64t with it.

The minolta autopack cameras like the d12 and d10 can read all possible stocks. This may well apply to your d6. Look at a super 8 cart. See the large notch? That is the asa or film speed notch. Now look in the camera to where this notch presses in to the camera. What do you see there? Lots of little pins? A slot with a leaver? A triangle shaped prong? A stair case shaped thingy? All of these systems work with all film speeds. If its just a single pin or two little pins, then it doesn't read 64t and is more limited.

Hope that helps.

RT

• Premium Member

Good note re. E-64 compatibility!

The list on super8wiki is related to the effort published in Smallformat. I cannot go into details because issues of plagiarism or copying could arise which I don't want to go into here as there are sensitive people out there, but they are PDC. :)

Super8wiki had some original errors corrected by now, I can see.

• 2 weeks later...