I have recently graduated , and am looking at trying to purchase a Bolex. Not an easy tasks, as they are rare as hens teeth here in New Zealand, and shipping plus the exchange rates makes it very hard from overseas.

But what I really want to know is what is the best model for doing sync sound. The projects I have really need usable sound from the shoot, I don't have time/money/equipment for ADR.

I have done some looking, the EBM SBM and EL seem to be the best options. But it has been very hard getting any information from people how have actually used them to shoot short films etc... about how they actually run. Ease of use, Lens changing, Camera noise, all the usual.

I would be very grateful to any information anyone could provide, you might even believe I am going the wrong route with the Bolex. All ideas, opinions, options, welcome.

Oh and happy new year from "The Land of The Long White Cloud" too (that's New Zealand)

Regards

Stefan Chapman

The Bolex is NOT the camera for you to use. Check the archive from last year for extensive discussions on this topic. The Bolex is not a quiet camera and was never intended for sync sound use. While it can run at sync speed it will make far too much noise for your purposes. You are much better off with a self-blimped quiet camera such as the CP-16R, the Eclair NPR or ACL, the Arriflex 16-BL, SR-1 or SR-2 or an Aaton. While the SR and Aaton cameras may be out of your price range, a camera such as the CP-16R can be found for around $1000-$1500 (US$) and the others go up to around $4500. Don't try to use a Bolex to shoot sync sound--you'll just frstrate yourself. It's a great camera but not for this purpose.

I have a Arri 16BL that I bought rebuilt from Visual Products that would be perfect for sync sound. I like it better than the Eclair NPR which loses it's loop more easily, or has for me anyway. It's (Arri 16BL) super quiet, much quieter than any CP16 I've ever used and it's not too pricey. Or you could just rent one. It's standard acadamy 1:33 aspect ratio though, if that matters. I would advise the Arri 16BL. Best of Luck.

Leon Rodriguez

Austin, Texas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Stefan,

I completely agree with the other posts on this topic. We shot a sound sync film last summer with the Bolex EBM and it did present many issues. For us the biggest issue was the camera we had was screwed up and ruined all the film. That being said, the noise issue with the Bolex is problematic. If you find yourself using a Bolex and want to shoot sound sync, there are a few things you can do that will increase your chances of getting acceptable results. First off, get a Barney for the camera. You can find them used on line, and there is a place in California USA that still makes them new for the Bolex EBM, for about 200 dollars US. Also you can help eliminate more noise by wrapping an old leather jacket around the camera while shooting.

After you have finished your shoot, take the audio, and if you have a Apple Computer, you can get a piece of software thats called SoundSoap, made by a company called Bias. You need to get a copy of the original version 1.0, and for some bizarre reason, it does a really good job of removing the sound of a Bolex EBM from the dialog. We were blown away by how well it worked.

If you end up shooting with a Bolex, and have a Mac, and are willing to purchase SoundSoap, contact me and I will tell you how to get a copy of the original version 1.0.

But in the long run, it is much simpler to get a different camera.

Hope that helps.

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

He Stefan

I was interested to learn that you are in New Zealand and looking at buying a Bolex. I am also from New Zealand but am currently living in Korea. I have just put a down payment on a Bolex EBM super 16 camera in the states and should hopefully be picking it up in July when I get back to NZ. It was been cool to have a chat to you. I am with a small team that is planning on shooting our first super16mm feature next year. We shot a digital feature a couple years ago before having to run away to asia to pay off debts and get money together for a film feature. My email is ttpcourtney@hotmail.com

Drop me a line it would be cool to know how things are back in the industry in New Zealand and to hear from a new film maker

Cheers

Peter Courtney

• 1 month later...